Graduate Assistant Hiring Guidelines (Faculty)
Graduate assistantships enhance Gabelli students’ academic and professional development and reduce their tuition expenses while supporting the mission and healthy operation of the business school administration and faculty. Our goal is to open assistantships to as many students as possible; as such, any limits noted below exist only to broaden opportunities for participation.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with Zoya Hassan at [email protected], Assistant Director for Student Aid and Admissions Operations.
GA hiring Policies, Procedures and Deadlines a Step by Step guide
1) Confirm your GA eligibility for the academic year. If you have questions or concerns or would like to request additional hours, please get in touch with your Area Chair.
2) Select a GA, you feel is a good fit for you. If you are looking for students who are interested in a graduate assistantship for the term, you may refer to the Graduate Assistant Pool.
3) Ensure the GA you selected meets the following requirements:
- Enrolled at the Gabelli Graduate School of Business
- Enrolled in at least 6 credits during the Fall or Spring term for maximum eligibility of 10 hours/week GAship for the Fall or Spring term.
- Registered in at least 9 credits during the Fall or Spring term for maximum eligibility of 20 hours/week Gaship for the Fall or Spring term
- Registered in at least 3 credits during the Summer or student’s last semester for a maximum eligibility of 10 hours/week GAship for Summer or student’s last semester.
4) Submit the GA Approval Request Form by the deadline.
|Term||GA application opens||Approval form opens||GA application closes||Last day to Submit GA Approval Form|
|Fall 2023||Aug 1, 2023||Aug 2, 2023||Sep 17,2023||Oct 20, 2023|
|Spring 2024||Nov 20, 2023||Dec 1, 2023||Jan 30, 2024||Mar 15, 2024|
|Summer 2024||Apr 15, 2024||Apr 19,2024||Jun 14, 2024||Jul 19,2024|
5) Wait for an email from the Office of Admissions within 72 hours approving your GA request and confirming that your GA’s funds have been posted. Do NOT start working with your GA until you have received this email.
6) Monitor the graduate assistant to ensure that he or she works the designated hours for the term and no more. Any hours worked beyond the graduate assistant’s designated hours for that term will not be compensated. Schedule the graduate assistant’s hours within the term according to the supervisor’s needs as long as the total hours worked during the term does not exceed the student’s hired total. The GA’s supervisor or designee holds responsibility for complete and accurate records of the GA’s hours.
7) Alert the Office of Graduate Admissions ([email protected]) if a graduate assistant leaves in the middle of a term before his/her designated hours have been completed. The graduate assistant’s compensation for the term will be pro-rated accordingly.
Once the GA approval form is received, students hired as academic and/or administrative graduate assistantships will be compensated entirely by a tuition credit posted to the student’s account. The GA and the hiring supervisor will receive a confirmation email once the funds are posted to the student’s account. Your GA should not start work with you until you have received an email stating that your GA is approved to start working.
|5 hour positions (75 hours/semester)||$1,755|
|5 hour positions (112 hours/semester)||$2,632|
|10 hour positions (150 hours/semester)||$3.510|
|5-hour positions (187.5 hours/semester)||$4,387|
|20-hour positions (300 hours/semester)||$7,020|
Please note that students will not be compensated for work beyond the maximum hours allowed following the student’s weekly work hours.
Funds posted for a graduate assistantship must be distributed to the student in the same term in which he or she performs the graduate assistantship work. In general, funds will be posted to the student’s account within 3 business days of receiving the GA approval form or 3 days before the start of classes, whichever is later.
Please note it may take up to 5 business days or 3 days before the start of the term, whichever is later, for the funds to disburse to the student’s account once the. Graduate Assistantship funds are posted.