Master of Arts in Public Media
The multi-platform journalism track will focus on audio, video, and interactive web content reporting, production, and distribution.
The strategic communication track will focus on nonprofits, the public sector, and social enterprises, including social media marketing, public relations, fundraising, and advocacy.
- Gain communications skills that are grounded in media ethics and theory.
- Learn best practices for informative, compelling storytelling across platforms.
- Develop multimedia production expertise in graphics, audio/video production and editing, and web and mobile design.
- Take advantage of internships and courses at WFUV, WNYC, BronxNet, WNET, other media outlets, and public-interest and advocacy organizations.
- Enroll in courses taught by media professionals from WFUV, CBS, The New York Times, WNYC, DoSomething, and more.
- Designed as a for full-time students, with evening courses at both our Rose Hill/Bronx campus and the Lincoln Center/Manhattan campuses, allowing for daytime employment, fieldwork, or internships.
- Curriculum requires two core courses, four advanced courses, two electives or internships, and a summer master’s project for a total of 30 credits.
- Opportunity to take electives in other graduate programs across Fordham's Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, as well as the Gabelli School of Business.
- Courses are held at both the Rose Hill/Bronx campus and the Lincoln Center/Manhattan campus to take advantage of the different opportunities that each campus and neighborhood has to offer.
- Multi-Platform journalist
- Digital activist
- Social entrepreneur
- Communications director
- Public relations specialist
- Development director
The M.A. in Public Media program at Fordham University has done a lot for me, from expanding my journalistic skills to helping me get my foot in the door of the TV production industry.
Ysabella Escalona, PMMA '22, FCRH '21, Associate Producer, Hispanic Information and Telecommunications Network (HITN)- Read more testimonials
Telling the Stories that Matter in Fordham’s Public Media Master’s Program
For Maya Sargent, public media is more than a career path; it’s a calling. The U.K. native traveled a lot with her family while she was younger, living in places such as Dubai and Spain, which sparked her curiosity and sense of storytelling even at a young age.
Journalism Students Learn Ropes at Spanish-Language TV Station
Journalism students in Fordham’s Master of Arts in Public Media program have been interning at HITN, a Brooklyn-based, Spanish-language television station dedicated to educational and cultural programming. The station has also hired graduates of the program.
Public Media Graduate Wins Prestigious Awards for Podcast on Rom-Coms
When Carmen Borca-Carrillo was deciding on her capstone project for the master’s in public media program at Fordham, film and television seemed like the obvious choice.
Enhanced Partnerships, Accelerated Track Add to Public Media Program’s Growth
Media with a message. That’s the key component of Fordham’s one-year, 30-credit graduate public media master’s program, according to director Beth Knobel, Ph.D.