Fordham Research Fellow and Research Intern Programs
Fordham-Columbia, Fordham-NYU, Fordham-IBM, and Fordham-Georgetown Research Fellow and Research Intern Program Guidelines, 2023
The Fordham-Columbia, Fordham-NYU, Fordham-IBM and Fordham-Georgetown Research Fellow and Research Intern Program is designed to promote and expand research collaborations among the four institutions. The review committee will select Fordham faculty members (Research Fellows) and Fordham students (Research Interns) to work collaboratively with Columbia, NYU, IBM and Georgetown scholars, scientists, and students on a research project in the summer of 2023. Selected Fellows and Interns will be allowed to conduct their research remotely due to COVID-19 circumstances, when applicable.
- A. All Fordham tenured or tenure-track faculty members are invited to submit their applications to the Office of Research by February 1, 2023.
- B. The Fordham Chief Research Officer (CRO) will work with the University Research Council (URC) and Research Deans’ Council to review these applications. After consulting with the Provost and the four institutional partners, the CRO will select Fordham faculty members as Research Fellows.
- C. Each selected Research Fellow is encouraged to recommend up to one Fordham undergraduate or graduate student to serve as the project Research Intern during the summer of 2023.
- D. The Research Intern must be a current full time and degree seeking Fordham student through August 2023 with a GPA of 3.0 or above. CRO will consult with the students' dean to make the final decision.
- E. Each Fellow applicant should submit a brief statemnet of how the student will participate in the project and the student's resume to CRO ([email protected]) by March 1st, 2023
- F. The summer program will be held from May 15th to August 15, 2023 but the term can be extended or adjusted if all stakeholders agree.
- G. This program does not affect the Research Fellow’s Fordham Faculty Fellowship or other Fordham internal awards/grants; however, applicants must select only one of the four institutional partners—Columbia, NYU, IBM or Georgetown.
- H.. Selected Fordham-Columbia Fellows and Interns must follow the Columbia Faculty Handbook’s Guidelines for Visiting Scholars/Scientists and Seminar Associates (http://www.columbia.edu/cu/vpaa/handbook/visiting.html).
- I. Selected Fordham-NYU Fellows will be required to sign a NYU standard research intellectual property agreement.
- J. Selected Fordham-Georgetown Fellows will be required to sign a Georgetown standard academic visitor letter of invitation and confidentiality agreement.
Fordham faculty applicants must meet the following requirements:
A. Be a full-time tenure-track or tenured faculty member;
B. Have strong research credentials that include grant activities and/or publications；
C. Have a pre-approved written plan for collaborating on research with a Columbia, NYU, IBM or Georgetown scholar or scientist using resources provided by that scholar either independently or in conjunction with Columbia, NYU, IBM or Georgetown.
D. Priority will be given to proposals related to STEM areas.
E. Preference will be given to those applicants who have not received this fellowship or internship previously.
Fordham faculty applicants must submit the following application materials via Fordham Research Fellow 2023 Application Form (https://form.jotform.com/222614704616149) no later than February 1, 2023:
A. A one-page project summary, including objectives, project description, role of student research interns, expected outcomes, research equipment usage, and any related expenditures;
B. A two-page resume;
C. A letter of support from the applicant’s Department Chair or Dean at Fordham;
D. A letter from the Columbia, NYU, IBM or Georgetown scholar/scientist agreeing to conduct collaborative research and provide needed resources; and
E. All applicants must consult with and/or secure requisite approvals from the IRB, IBC and/or IACUC, when applicable.
The Fordham Research Fellows and Research Interns will, if previously arranged, have access to research facilities, equipment and a work space within Columbia, NYU, IBM and Georgetown as appropriate, and obtain a written agreement with a Columbia, NYU, IBM and Georgetown responsible person.
The Office of Research at Fordham will be responsible for providing up to $5,000 as a stipend in support of the Fellow’s professional development and scholarly activities.
The Office of Research will issue an award of up to $2,000 to each selected student Research Intern.
Fellows will be expected to produce scholarly publications, submit external grant proposals, develop interdisciplinary research collaborations, and/or deliver conference presentations. Fellows and Interns will also be required to submit a comprehensive report by October 1, 2023, and all Fellows and Interns should make presentations at the university research forum and/or their college’s research event.