Interdisciplinary Research Grant
Call for Proposals for Support of Interdisciplinary Research 2023
Deadline for Proposals: February 28, 2023
The objective of this Interdisciplinary Research Grant (IRG) is to provide pilot funds to stimulate interdisciplinary research projects. The larger objective is to increase the visibility of Fordham in interdisciplinary research, and to allow faculty to leverage preliminary results obtained with this funding to obtain larger external awards. Thematic areas can include interdisciplinary work and collaboration in areas studied and taught at Fordham within Arts & Sciences, Gabelli School of Business, Graduate School of Education, Graduate School of Religion and Religious Education, Graduate School of Social Service, and the School of Law.
The proposal should clearly indicate how the funding would achieve one or both of the goals of improving external visibility and external funding for interdisciplinary research at Fordham. While all interdisciplinary research proposals will be given full consideration, priority for funding this year will be given to science and justice research projects, such as health care justice, big data justice, environmental justice, race & gender in science, water justice, designed to foster collaboration across departments, and/or across colleges and schools.
The budget for the project may include:
- supplies, materials, software licenses;
- salary (or fees) for external consultants, technicians, or contractors, research assistants and graduate students;
- research related travel, but not for travel to scientific, academic or professional meetings/conferences (except in exceptional cases, e.g. where interdisciplinary conference participation is crucial to research objectives)
- costs of convening research team meetings; and,
- other justifiable research expenses.
Faculty salaries and indirect costs are not allowable expenses. Applicants may apply for up to a maximum $10,000 over a maximum of one year. Funding will be available for projects beginning July 1, 2023 concluding by April 1, 2024. Proposals for shorter periods with lower budget amounts are also encouraged. The priority will be given to those faculty who haven’t received IRG previously.
- Cover Page. Must include the following information:
- Proposal title
- Name, title, departmental affiliation, address, e-mail address, and telephone number of all proposed investigators
- Designation of a Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigators
- Abstract (250 words)
- Research plan (4-page maximum – single spaced, 12-point font, 1” margins on all sides) must include:
- Statement of scientific objectives and their significance;
- Interdisciplinary nature of the project;
- Work already completed related to the proposed work;
- Description of the research team and research setting;
- Proposed methods and plans for data analysis;
- Potential to improve external visibility with specifics;
- Potential for future grant support, including specific prospective grant opportunities.
4. Appendix materials (1-page maximum each– single spaced, 12-point font, 1” margins; do not count toward the Research Plan page limit) including:
- Research schedule and milestones;
- Relevance to mission of funding agencies;
- Letter of support from a collaborating researcher if such a partner is involved.
5. Budget justification (1-page maximum)
6. Curriculum vitae or bio-sketch for each investigator including current grant support and limited to four pages for each investigator.
Combine all required elements listed above into a single pdf document. Name that file as follows:
LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME INTERDISCIPLINARY AY2023.pdf, with the last and first name of the PI as the first terms in the filename. Then submit the IRG application form available on the Interdisciplinary Research Grant website (https://form.jotform.com/222685716629164).
7. Each grantee must submit an IRG summary report of the scholarly activity by July 1, 2024 and may be required to present a talk at a Fordham faculty research event.
- Application deadline: February 28, 2023
- Award announcement: March 28, 2023