Bozena I. Mierzejewska
Bozena I. Mierzejewska is an associate professor of communications and media management at the Gabelli School of Business. She holds an MA in economics from Warsaw School of Economics in Poland and a PhD in management from the University of St. Gallen in Switzerland.
Dr. Mierzejewska's research and teaching focuses on media management and digitization, and its impact on media organizations and media workers. She is a recipient of the 2010 Sherman Teaching Award and the post-doctoral Marie Curie Fellowship. She presently is the editor of JMM – The International Journal on Media Management, one of the leading academic publications in this area. She also serves on the editorial boards of the Journal of Media Economics, the Central European Journal of Communication and The International Journal on the Book.
Prior to joining Fordham, Dr. Mierzejewska taught and researched at the Media Management and Transformation Center, Jönköping International Business School, Sweden; and the Institute for Media and Communications Management, University of St. Gallen, Switzerland. She has been a guest speaker and visiting professor at various institutions including Jagiellonian University in Krakow, Poland, and Zurich University, Switzerland. She is an accomplished speaker and conference host and a devoted educator.
- PhD: Management, University of St. Gallen, Switzerland.
- Master's: Theory of Economics, Warsaw School of Economics, Poland.
- Master's: European Leisure Studies, awarded jointly by Free University of Brussels, Belgium; Tilburg University, Netherlands; Deusto University, Spain; and Loughborough University, UK.
- Managing media organizations
- Media economics
- Scholarly communication and academic publishing
- Media institutions and society
- Strategic management in media sectors
- Digitization and convergence of media sectors and media organizations
- Mierzejewska, B. I., Achtenhagen, L., Naldi, L. (2012). Disruption in the German publishing industry – performance and trends. In Defillippi, R & Wikstrom, P.. (ed.),Business Innovation and Disruption in Publishing. Portugal: MEDIA XXI Publishers.
- Mierzejewska, B. I. (2012). Akademische Journals – die komplexe Tätigkeit von Wissensgenerierung und Distribution, Codex. (Vol. 1, Issue 1). (publication in German language)
- Mierzejewska, B. I. (2010). Responding to disruptive innovations in book publishing - threat or opportunities, The International Journal of the Book. (Vol. 7, Issue 2, 2010, pages 51-60).
- Mierzejewska, B. I. (2010). Media management theory and practice. In Deuze, M. (ed.), Managing Media Work. USA: Sage.
- Mierzejewska, B. I. (2008). Barbarians at the gate: disruptive innovations and book publishing. In Schmid, B. & Wunderlich, W. (eds.), Die Gutenberg Galaxis. Bern: Haupt Verlag. (pages 99- 116).
- Mierzejewska, B. I. & Hollifield, C. A. (2006). Theoretical approaches in media management research. In Albarran B., Chan-Olmsted S., Wirth M.(eds.), Handbook of Media Management and Economics. Mahwah, USA: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Inc.
- Mierzejewska, B. I. (2003). Challenges to the international communication regulation,Economic Papers, No. 34, Warsaw School of Economics Press.
- Mierzejewska, B. I. (2001). Polityka medialna, (Media policies). In Jung, B. (ed.),Media, komunikacja, biznes elektroniczny (Media, communication and electronic business). Warsaw, Poland: Difin Publishing, (publication in Polish language).
- Mierzejewska, B. I. (2001). Metodologia badan mediow (Research methods in media studies). In Jung, B. (ed.), Media, komunikacja, biznes elektroniczny (Media, communication and electronic business). Warsaw, Poland: Difin Publishing (publication in Polish language).
- Mierzejewska, B. I. (2000). Polityka medialna – wprowadzenie (Introduction to media policy analysis). In Jung, B. (ed.), Wprowadzenie do nauk o komunikowaniu(Introduction to communication sciences). Warsaw, Poland: Warsaw School of Economics Press (publication in Polish language).
- Mierzejewska, B. I. (2000). Development of Polish media market. In Olendzki, P. (ed.), Poland 2000. Warsaw, Poland: PWN (publication in Polish language).
- Jung B. & Mierzejewska, B. I. (1996): Tourism education in Poland – an overview. In Richards, G. (ed.), Tourism in Central and Eastern Europe: educating for quality. Tilburg, The Netherlands: Tilburg University Press.