Iftekhar Hasan holds the title of university professor at Fordham University, where he also serves as the E. Gerald Corrigan Chair in Finance, academic director of the PhD program, and co-director of the Center for Research in Contemporary Finance at the Gabelli School of Business. He further serves as a scientific advisor at the Central Bank of Finland, as a fractional faculty member at the University of Sydney, as a research fellow at the Financial Institution Center at the Wharton School as well as at the IWH Institute in Halle, Germany. He is the managing editor of the Journal of Financial Stability and has served as an associate editor with several other reputed academic journals.
Professor Hasan's research interests are in the areas of financial institutions, corporate finance, capital markets, and emerging economies focusing on interdisciplinary questions and public policy issues. He has been involved with numerous academic research grants from different governmental, national, and international science foundations and organizations in the U.S. and abroad. Hasan has more than 450 publications in print, including 16 books and edited volumes, and more than 330 peer-reviewed articles in significant academic journals in finance (JFE, JFQA, RF, JB), accounting (JAR, RAST, CAR), economics (JME, JIE, JEG, JMCB), international business (JIBS), management (SMJ, JoM, HRM, RP, JBE), operation research (MS), and information systems (JIMS).
Professor Hasan has held visiting faculty positions at several universities around the world, including the University of Rome, Italy; the University of Strasbourg, France; the University of Carlos III, Madrid; EPFL at Lausanne, Switzerland; Hong Kong Polytechnic University; the University of Limoges, France; National Taiwan University at Taipei; the University of Romania at Bucharest; Xi’an Jiaotong University, China; University Utara Malaysia; the University of Sydney, Australia; and NYU's Stern School of Business. Professor Hasan has also been a consultant or a visiting scholar for numerous international organizations, including the World Bank, the IMF, the United Nations, the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, the Office of the Comptroller of Currency of the U.S. Treasury, the Banque de France, Development Bank of Japan, and the Italian Deposit Insurance Corporation.
A Fulbright scholar and a Fulbright selector, Professor Hasan has also earned distinction as a Changjiang Scholar in China, a Louis Bachelier Fellow in France, a Shimomura Fellow in Japan, and a Bursa Malaysia Chair in Malaysia. He also received a Doctor Honoris Causa degree from the Romanian American University in Bucharest.
- PhD: University of Houston
- MSS: University of Houston
- BSS: University of Dhaka
- Financial institutions
- Corporate finance
- Capital markets
- Emerging markets
- Network and machine learning
Selected recent publications
- “Social Capital, Trusting, and Trustworthiness: Evidence from Peer-to-Peer Lending,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, with Q. He, and H. Lu, (forthcoming), 2022.
- “Institutions and Corporate Reputation: Evidence from Public Debt Markets,” Journal of Business Ethics, with X. Gu and H. Lu (forthcoming), 2022.
- “Gender, Credit, Firm Outcomes,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 57, 359-389, with M. Delis, M. Iosifidi, and S. Ongena, 2022.
- “Do Activist Hedge Funds Target Female CEOs? The Role of CEO Gender in Hedge Fund Activism,” Journal of Financial Economics, 141(1), 372-393. with B. Francis, Y. Shen, and Q. Wu, 2021.
- “Quid pro quo? Political ties and sovereign borrowing,” Journal of International Economics, 133, 103523, with G. Ambrocio, 2021.
- “Gender and Innovation: Evidence from CTOs,” Research Policy, 50(9): 104327, with Q. Wu, N. Kobeissi, L. Li, and W. Dbouk, 2021.
- “Do Banks Value Borrowers' Environmental Record? Evidence from Financial Contracts,” Journal of Business Ethics, 174, 687–713, with IJ. Chen, CY. Lin and N. Vy., 2021.
- “Financing Choice and Local Economic Growth: Evidence from Brazil,” Journal of Economic Growth, 26(3): 329-357, with TC Silva, and B. Tabak.
- “Investor Relations and IPO Performance,” Review of Accounting Studies, 25(2): 474-512, with S. Chahine, G. Colak, and M. Mazboudi, 2020.
- “Democracy and Credit,” Journal of Financial Economics, 136(2), 571-596, with M. Delis and S. Ongena, 2020.
- “The Influence of Bondholder Concentration and Temporal Orientation on Investment in R&D,” Journal of Management, 47(3): 683-715, with J. O’Brien, P. Ye, and C. Carnes, 2020
- “Foreign Ownership, Bank Information Environments, and the International Mobility of Corporate Governance,” Journal of International Business Studies, 50(9), 1566-1593, with Y. Fang, W.S. Leung, and Q. Wang, 2019.
- “Employee Treatment and Contracting with Bank Lenders: An Instrumental Approach for Stakeholder Management,” Journal of Business Ethics 158 (4), 1029-1046, with B. Francis, L. Liu, and H. Wang., 2019.
- “On the Effect of Business and Economic University Education on Political Ideology: An Empirical Note,” Journal of Business Ethics 155 (3), 809-822, with M. Delis and M. Iosifidi., 2019.
- “State Enforceability of Non-Compete Agreements: Regulations That Stifle Productivity,” Human Resource Management. 57(1), 341-354, with S. Anand, P. Sharma, and H. Wang, 2018.
- “Corporate Social Responsibility and Firm Financial Performance: The Mediating Role of Productivity,” Journal of Business Ethics 149, 671–688, with N. Kobeissi, L. Liu, and H. Wang, 2018.
- “Social Capital and Corporate Tax Avoidance,” Journal of Accounting Research, 55(3), 629-668, with C. Hoi, Q. Wu, and H. Zhang, 2017.
- “Effect of Board Directors from Countries with Different Genetic Diversity Levels on Corporate Performance,” Management Science, 63 (1), 231-249, with M. Delis, C. Gaganis, and F. Pasiouras, 2017.
- “Social Capital and Debt Contracting: Evidence from Bank Loans and Public Bonds,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 52, 1017-1047, with C. Hoi, Q. Wu, H. Zhang, 2017.
- “Relative Peer Quality and Firm Performance,” Journal of Financial Economics 122, 196-219, with B. Francis, S. Mani, and P. Ye, 2016.
- “Urban Agglomeration and CEO Compensation,” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 51(6), 1925-1953, with B. Francis, K. John, and M. Waisman, 2016.
- “Gender Differences in Financial Reporting Decision Making: Evidence from Accounting Conservatism,” Contemporary Accounting Research, 32(3), 1285–1318, with B. Francis, JC Park, and Q. Wu, 2016.
- “Small Banks and Local Economic Development,” Review of Finance, 19(2), 653-683, with H. Hakenes, P. Molyneux, and R. Xie, 2015.
- “Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder: The Effect of Tax Avoidance on the Cost of Bank Loans,” Journal of Financial Economics, 113, 109-130, with C. Hoi, Q. Wu, and H. Zhang, 2014.
- “Bank Regulations and Income Inequality: Empirical Evidence,” Review of Finance, 18, 1811-1846, with M. Delis, and P. Kazakis, 2014.
- “State Antitakeover Statutes and Voluntary Disclosure.” Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 48 (2), 637-668, with Y. Zhao and A. Allen., 2013.
- “Global Equity Offerings, Corporate Valuation &Subsequent International Diversification,” Strategic Management Journal, 32, 787-796, with N. Kobeissi and H. Wang), 2012.
- “Effect of State Antitakeover Laws on the Firm’s Bondholders,” Journal of Financial Economics, 96(1), 127-154, with B. Francis, K. John, and M. Waisman, 2011.