Information, Technology, and Operations
Joined Fordham: 1998
140 W. 62nd Street, Room 406,
New York, NY 10023
Email: [email protected] | LinkedIn Profile
W. Raghupathi is a professor of information technology. He's also the director of Fordham University’s Center for Digital Transformation and directs the Gabelli School of Business Design and AI Labs.
Dr. Raghupathi’s current teaching and research interests include analytics, artificial intelligence and deep machine learning methods applied to climate change & sustainability, crowdfunding, cybersecurity, entrepreneurship & innovation, ESG, healthcare, legal reasoning, and others, and he has published more than seventy refereed journal articles. He is co-editor for North America of the International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics.
Prior to joining the Gabelli School of Business faculty, Dr. Raghupathi taught at California State University, Chico, and The University of Texas at Arlington. He was a researcher at the Automation & Robotics Research Institute (UTA) in Fort Worth, Texas and visiting faculty at Intel Corporation, Folsom, California. Prior to earning his doctorate, Dr. Raghupathi worked at 1st Capital Assets Group in New York City. He also worked at J.K. Industries Ltd and Midwest Leasing Ltd in India before coming to the United States for his M.B.A.. Dr. Raghupathi has received numerous faculty awards and grants from IBM Corporation and Verizon. He is a certified Rutgers University Master Gardener of Somerset County, and a certified Environmental Steward of Rutgers University, New Jersey.
Dr. Raghupathi received his Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Law degrees from Osmania University (India), a Master of Commerce degree from Sri Venkateswara University (India), an M.B.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Texas (Arlington), and an L.L.M. in intellectual property in information technology from Fordham University.
- L.L.M. in Intellectual Property in Information Technology, Fordham University, magna cum laude
- Ph.D.: The University of Texas (Arlington)
- Master's: MCom, Sri Venkateswara University (India); MBA, University of Texas (Arlington)
- Bachelor's: BCom, LLB, Osmania University (India)
- Analytics and data science
- Artificial intelligence and deep machine learning
- Climate change
- Culture and ethics
- Ethics in AI
- Gig economy
- Innovation and entrepreneurship
- Legal reasoning
- Reproducibility & Repeatability in Computing Research
View the full list of publications on Google Scholar.
Raghupathi, W.; Wu, S.J.; Raghupathi, V. Understanding Corporate Sustainability Disclosures from the Securities Exchange Commission Filings. Sustainability 2023,
15, 4134. https://doi.org/10.3390/ su15054134
Ren, J.; Raghupathi, V.; Raghupathi, W. Exploring Influential Factors in Hiring Freelancers in Online Labor Platforms: An Empirical Study. Economies 2023, 11, 80. https://doi.org/10.3390/
Raghupathi, W.; Raghupathi, V.; Saharia, A. Analyzing Health Data Breaches: A Visual Analytics Approach. AppliedMath 2023, 3, 175-199. https://doi.org/10.3390/
Raghupathi, W. (with V. Raghupathi & Jie Ren), 2022. Reproducibility in Computing Research: An Empirical Study. IEEE Access, 2022. DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2022.
- Raghupathi, V., & Raghupathi, W. (2022). Exploring the Association Between Demographics and Cancer: A Visual Analytics Approach. International Journal of Applied Research on Public Health Management (IJARPHM), 7(1), 1-21.
- Raghupathi, V., Raghupathi, W. The association between healthcare resource allocation and health status: an empirical insight with visual analytics. J Public Health (Berl.) (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10389-021-01651-6
- Raghupathi, W., Raghupathi, V., & Tan, J. (2021) Contemporary Health Information Technology (HIT): Opportunities and Challenges. J Cur Tre Nur Health Care 2(3): 1-4
- Raghupathi, W. (with V. Raghupathi). Contemporary Business Analytics: An Overview. Data. 2021; 6(8):86. https://doi.org/10.3390/
- Raghupathi V, Ren J, Raghupathi W (2021). Understanding the nature and dimensions of litigation crowdfunding: A visual analytics approach. PLoS ONE 16(4): e0250522. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0250522
- Ren, J, Raghupathi, V, Raghupathi, W. Exploring the Factors that Determine the Success of Litigation Crowdfunding: Implications for Social Justice. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Vol. 169, August, 2021, 120813.
- Ren, J., Raghupathi, V., & Raghupathi, W. (2021). Effect of crowd wisdom on pricing in the asset-based sharing platform: An attribute substitution perspective. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 94, 102874.
- Ren, J., Raghupathi, V., & Raghupathi, W. (2021). Exploring the subjective nature of crowdfunding decisions. Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 15, e00233.
- Raghupathi, V. & Raghupathi, W. " Leveraging the Web for Corporate Sustainability Disclosure," Information Resources Management Journal, Vol. 33, Issue 3, 2020, pp. 24-58.
- Ren, Jie; Raghupathi, Viju; and Raghupathi, W (2020) "Determinants of Startup Funding: The Interaction between Web Attention and Culture," Journal of International Technology and Information Management: Vol. 29: Issue 1 , Article 1. Available at: https://scholarworks.lib.
- Raghupathi, V.; Ren, J.; Raghupathi, W. Identifying Corporate Sustainability Issues by Analyzing Shareholder Resolutions: A Machine-Learning Text Analytics Approach. Sustainability 2020,
- Ren J, Raghupathi V, Raghupathi W. Understanding the Dimensions of Medical Crowdfunding: A Visual Analytics Approach, J Med Internet Res 2020;22(7):e18813
- Raghupathi, V.; Ren, J.; Raghupathi, W. Studying Public Perception about Vaccination: A Sentiment Analysis of Tweets. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17, 3464.
- Raghupathi V and Raghupathi W (2020) Healthcare Expenditure and Economic Performance: Insights From the United States Data. Front. Public Health 8:156. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2020.00156
- Raghupathi, V., Raghupathi, W. The influence of education on health: an empirical assessment of OECD countries for the period 1995–2015. Arch Public Health 78, 20 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/
- "Exploring Science and Technology Led Innovation: A Cross-Country Study" (with V. Raghupathi), Journal of Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Springer Open (with V. Raghupathi), January 24, 2019.
- "Exploring Big Data Analytic Approach to Social Media Cancer Blog Analysis" (with V. Raghupathi & Y. Zhou), International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems & Informatics (IJHISI), Vol 14 (4), 2019.
- "Legal Decision Support: Exploring Big Data Analytics Approach to Modeling Pharma Patent Validity Cases" (with V. Raghupathi & Y. Zhou), IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 2018, pp. 41518-41528.
- "Corporate Sustainability Reporting and Disclosure on the Web: An Exploratory Study," (with V. Raghupathi), Information Resources Management Journal, Vol 32, No. 1, 2019, pp.1-27.
- “An Empirical Study of Chronic Diseases in the United States: A Visual Analytics Approach to Public Health” (with V. Raghupathi), Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2018, 15(3), 431.
- “Economic Growth and Climate Change: An Exploratory Country-Level Analytics Study," (with V. Raghupathi), International Journal of Green Computing, 2017, Vol. 8, No 1, pp. 1-22.
- “Preventive Healthcare: A Neural Network Analysis of Behavioral Habits and Chronic Diseases” (with V. Raghupathi), Healthcare, 2017, 5(1), 8.
- “Innovation at Country-Level: Association Between Economic Development and Patents” (with V. Raghupathi), Journal of Innovation Entrepreneurship, 2017, 6:4.
- "Exploring Cost and Quality of Medicare in the United States Using Analytics" (with V. Raghupathi, International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics, Vol. 11, No 2, 2016, pp. 1-18.
- “A Neural Network Analysis of Treatment Quality and Efficiency of Hospitals” J Health Med Informat, 2015, 6:6. doi: 10.4172/2157-7420.1000209
- “Benchmarking Hospital Performance Using Health Analytics” (with V. Raghupathi), J Health Med Informat, 6:188, 2015. doi: 10.4172/2157-7420.1000188
- "Global Public Health: A Country Level Study with Analytics" (with V. Raghupathi), Health Policy and Technology, Elsevier, June 2015, Volume 4, Issue 2, Pages 156–167.
- “The Strategic Association between Information and Communication Technologies and Sustainability: A Country-Level Study,” (with S.J. Wu), Journal of Global Information Management (JGIM), 23(3), 2015, 92-115. doi:10.4018/JGIM.2015070105
- "An Unstructured Information Management Architecture Approach to Text Analytics of Cancer Blogs" (with Viju Raghupathi), International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics, April-June 2014, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 17-34.
- "The Role of Information and Communication Technologies in Global Sustainability: A Review" (with Sarah Wu and Viju Raghupathi), Journal of Management for Global Sustainability, Vol. 2, Issue 1, 2014.
- "Big Data Analytics in Healthcare: Promise and Potential" (with V. Raghupathi), Health Information Science and Systems 2014, 2:3 (7 February 2014).
- “An Overview of Health Analytics” (with V. Raghupathi), J Health Med Informat, 2013, 4:132.
- “Exploring the Relationship between ICTs and Public Health at Country Level: A Health Analytics Approach” (with V. Raghupathi), International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics (IJHISI), Vol 8, No 3, 2013, pp. 1-22.
- “A Panel Analysis of the Strategic Association between Information and Communication Technology and Public Health Delivery,” (with S. Wu), Journal of Medical Internet Research 2012, 14(5), e147.
- "Strategic Value of an Unbound, Interoperable PHR Platform for Rights–Managed Care Coordination" (with Elaine A. Blechman, Peter Raich, and Stephen Blass), Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 2012, Vol. 30, Article 6.
- “The Relationship between Information & Communication Technologies and Country Governance: An Exploratory Study” (with S. Wu), Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol 28, Article 12, 2011.
- “The Relationship between Information and Communication Technologies and the Delivery of Public Health: A Country-level Study” (with S. Wu), Communications of the AIS, Vol. 28, Article 8, 2011.
- “An Archetype Pattern Driven Approach to Ontology Development in Health Care Information Systems” (with A. Umar), Methods of Information in Medicine, Vol. 50, No. 3, 2011, pp 285-295.
- “The Intellectual Structure of Health & Medical Informatics” (with S. Nerur), International Journal Healthcare Information Systems & Informatics, Vol. 5, No. 4, 2010, pp. 20-34.
- “IT-Enabled Corporate Governance - The Characteristics and Determinants of Web-based Corporate Governance Disclosures: An Empirical Investigation” (with Y. Jiang), Information Resources Management Journal, Vol. 23, No. 4, 2010, pp. 1-20.