Accounting and Taxation
Joined Fordham: 2007
113 West 60th Street,
New York, NY 10023
Yuan Xie's research focuses on financial intermediaries and their roles in the capital market. His work has been published in the Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Accounting Studies, Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting and Accounting Horizons. One of his articles was featured in the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation and in DowJones Financial News. Professor Xie has been invited to serve as reviewer for Contemporary Accounting Research and the Journal of Accounting and Public Policy. He also has been invited to present and discuss papers at national conferences.
Professor Xie currently teaches financial accounting and managerial accounting in Fordham's Gabelli School of Business, where he consistently has received very good teaching evaluations.
- PhD: University of Utah
- Master's: Renmin University of China
- Voluntary Disclosure
- Social Capital
- Information Intermediaries
- Debt Contracting
- Corporate Governance
- “The Intraday Timing of Rating Changes” with P. Kraft and L. Zhou. Journal of Corporate Finance (2019), Forthcoming.
- “Does Crackdown on Corruption Reduce Stock Price Crash Risk? Evidence from China” with Y. Chen, H. You and Y. Zhang. Journal of Corporate Finance (2018), Vol. 51, August 2018, pp. 125-141.
- “Innovation, Financial Reporting Quality, and Audit Quality” with G. Lobo and J. Zhang. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting (2017) https://doi.org/10.1007/s11156-017-0686-1.
- “Bank Loan Spread and Private Information: Pending Approval Patents” with M. Plumlee, M. Yan and J. Yu. Review of Accounting Studies (2015), Vol. 20, Issue 2, pp. 593-638.
- “Does It Matter Who Serves on Financial Accounting Standards Board? Bob Herz’s Resignation and Fair Value Accounting for Loans” with J. Jiang and I. Wang. Review of Accounting Studies (2015), Vol. 20, Issue 1, pp. 371-394.
- “The Informational Role of Targets’ Auditors in Corporate Takeovers” with H. Yi and Y. Zhang, Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory (2013), Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 141-169.
- “National Level, City Level Auditor Industry Specialization and Analyst Forecast Properties” with Y. Zhang and J. Zhou. International Journal of Auditing (2012), Vol. 16, Issue 3, pp. 248-267.
- “Does It Matter Who Pays for Bond Ratings? Historical Evidence” with J. Jiang and M. Stanford. Journal of Financial Economics 105 (2012), 607-621.
- Featured in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation on November 18, 2011, and in DowJones Financial News on November 23, 2011.
- Cited by James R. Doty, Chairman of the PCAOB, in a speech in London, England, on April 18, 2013.
- “The Market Effects of Breaking a String of Meeting or Beating Analysts’ Expectations: Downward Revision of Future Cash Flows or Increase in Cost of Equity Capital?” Journal of Business Finance and Accounting (2011), Vol. 38, Issue 1-2, pp. 95-118.
- “National Level, City Level Auditor Industry Specialization and Cost of Debt” with C. Li and J. Zhou. Accounting Horizons (2010), 24 (3): 395–417.
- “The Role of Information Precision in Determining the Cost of Equity Capital” with C. Botosan and M. Plumlee. Review of Accounting Studies (2004), Vol. 9, Issue 2, pp. 233-259.