Master of Arts in Public Media
Public media is more than just public broadcasting.
From radio to TV to mobile apps, public media increase awareness of issues affecting our daily lives and our ability to take action.
It’s about telling stories about and for the public good in ways that promote dialogue, civic engagement, and social change.
It’s about committed, responsible storytelling across a variety of existing and emerging platforms.
It’s about real journalism, real communication strategies, and real stories –
media with a mission.
Our one-year program combines academic inquiry and hands-on experience. You’ll engage with media theory while building your own portfolio and learning from some of the top public broadcasting professionals in the country, including program partners and pioneers in public radio and television, WFUV and WNET.
Choose between two tracks:
- Multiplatform journalism including audio, video, and interactive web content production and distribution
- Strategic communication for nonprofits, the public sector, or social enterprises, including social media marketing, public relations, fundraising, and advocacy
- Gain communications skills that are grounded in media ethics and theory
- Learn best practices for informative, compelling storytelling across platforms
- Develop multimedia production expertise in graphics, audio/video production and editing, and web and mobile design
- Take advantage of internships and courses at WFUV, WNET, other media outlets, and public-interest and advocacy organizations
- Enroll in courses taught by media professionals from WFUV and WNET
- Designed as a one-year program for full-time students
- Evening courses allow for daytime employment, fieldwork, or internships
- Curriculum requires two intensive courses, two core courses, two fundamentals courses, two specialized track courses, two elective courses or internships, and a master’s project for a total of 30 credits
- Courses in both tracks available at both Bronx and Manhattan campuses
- Multiplatform journalist
- Digital activist
- Social entrepreneur
- Communications director
- Public relations specialist
- Development director