Fordham Research Fellow and Research Intern Programs
Fordham-Columbia, Fordham-NYU, Fordham-IBM, and Fordham-Georgetown Research Fellow and Research Intern Program Guidelines
The Fordham-Columbia, Fordham-NYU, Fordham-IBM, and Fordham-Georgetown Research Fellow and Research Intern Program is designed to promote and expand research collaborations among the four institutions. The review committee will select Fordham faculty members (Research Fellows) and Fordham students (Research Interns) to work collaboratively with Columbia, NYU, IBM, and Georgetown scholars, scientists, and students on a research project in the summer of 2021. Selected Fellows and Interns will be allowed to conduct their research remotely due to COVID-19 circumstances, when applicable.
- All Fordham tenured or tenure-track faculty members are invited to submit their applications to the Office of Research by November 16, 2020.
- The Fordham Chief Research Officer (CRO) will work with the University Research Council (URC) and Research Deans’ Council to review these applications. After consulting with the Provost and the four institutional partners, the CRO will select Fordham faculty members as Research Fellows by December 18, 2020.
- Each selected Research Fellow is encouraged to recommend up to one Fordham undergraduate or graduate student to serve as the project Research Intern during the summer of 2021.
- Each Fellow applicant should submit a brief statement of how the student will participate in the project and the student’s resume to CRO by January 22, 2021.
- The CRO will consult with the students’ deans to make the final decision. The Office of Research will complete the selection process of the student Research Interns by February 22, 2021.
- The Research Intern must be a current full time and degree-seeking Fordham student through August 2021 with a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- The summer program will be held from May 15 to August 15, 2021, but the term can be extended or adjusted if all stakeholders agree.
- This program does not affect the Research Fellow’s Fordham Faculty Fellowship or other Fordham internal awards/grants; however, applicants must select only one of the four institutional partners—Columbia, NYU, IBM, or Georgetown.
- Selected Fordham-Columbia Fellows and Interns must follow the Columbia Faculty Handbook’s Guidelines for Visiting Scholars/Scientists and Seminar Associates.
- Selected Fordham-NYU Fellows will be required to sign a NYU standard research intellectual property agreement.
Fordham faculty applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a full-time tenure-track or tenured faculty member;
- Have strong research credentials that include grant activities and/or publications；
- Have a pre-approved written plan for collaborating on research with a Columbia, NYU, IBM, or Georgetown scholar or scientist using resources provided by that scholar either independently or in conjunction with Columbia, NYU, IBM, or Georgetown.
- The priority will be given to those who have not received this fellowship and internship previously.
Fordham faculty applicants must submit the following application materials via Fordham Research Fellow 2021 application form no later than November 16, 2020:
- A one-page project summary, including objectives, project description, role of student research interns, expected outcomes, research equipment usage, and any related expenditures;
- A two-page resume;
- A letter of support from the applicant’s Department Chair or Dean at Fordham;
- A letter of support from the Columbia, NYU, IBM, or Georgetown scholar/scientist agreeing to conduct collaborative research and provide needed resources; and
- All applicants must consult with and/or secure requisite approvals from the IRB, IBC, and/or IACUC, when applicable.
- The Fordham Research Fellows and Research Interns will, if previously arranged, have access to research facilities, equipment, and a workspace within Columbia, NYU, IBM, and Georgetown as appropriate, and obtain a written agreement with a Columbia, NYU, IBM, and Georgetown responsible person.
- The Office of Research at Fordham will be responsible for providing up to $5,000 as a stipend/award in support of the Fellow’s professional development and scholarly activities.
- The Office of Research will issue an award of up to $2,000 as a stipend/award payment to each selected student Research Intern.
Fellows will be expected to produce scholarly publications, submit external grant proposals, develop interdisciplinary research collaborations, and/or deliver conference presentations. Fellows and Interns will also be required to submit a comprehensive report by October 1, 2021, and all fellows and all interns should make presentations at the university research forum and/or their college’s research event.