Fordham at Columbia University Research Fellow
The Fordham University Research Fellow at Columbia University will promote and expand institutional research collaborations between the two universities. In the first year, each selected Fordham faculty member (Research Fellow) will have the opportunity to work collaboratively with a Columbia scholar on a research project in the summer of 2017.
Faculty members are invited to submit nominations and self-nominations to the Dean of the school of their affiliation by January 30, 2017 with up to one page project summary and curriculum vitae. Fordham Dean from each School will be asked to submit nominations for the Program to the Chief Research Officer (CRO) by March 1, 2017. Individuals who are nominated by the Dean must submit application material as per section IV. After a review of the submissions, the CRO and Provost will select two (2) Fordham faculty members as Research Fellow by April 1, 2017. The summer program will be held from May 15 to August 15, 2017.
If the summer program is successful, as evidenced by the fall 2017 assessment, the Research Fellows program will continue in spring 2018. This program will not affect the Fordham Faculty Fellowship or other internal awards/grants; however, applicants cannot apply to both the Columbia and NYU Fellow programs at the same time. Selected Fellows must follow the Columbia Faculty Handbook’s Guidelines for Visiting Scholars/Scientists and Seminar Associates (http://www.columbia.edu/cu/vpaa/handbook/visiting.html).
Fordham applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a full time tenure-track or tenured faculty member
- Have strong research credentials that include grant activities and publications
- Have a plan for collaborating on research with a Columbia scholar using resources provided by that scholar either independently or in conjunction with a Columbia research institute
The nominated Fordham faculty members must submit the following application materials to Dr. George Hong via firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2017:
- A one-page project summary, including objectives, project description, expected outcomes, research equipment usage, and any related expenditures
- A two-page resume,
- A letter of support from the applicant’s Department Chair or Dean at Fordham; and
- A letter from the Columbia University scholar agreeing to conduct collaborative research and provide needed resources.
The Fordham Research Fellow at Columbia will have access to research facilities, equipment and work space within Columbia University as appropriate and agreed to in advance by Columbia faculty. The Office of Research at Fordham will be responsible for providing up to $5,000 in support of the Fellow’s professional development and scholarly activities, such as local travel, meals, student assistant, conference, supplies, books, and software.
Fellows will be expected to produce scholarly publications, submit external grant proposals, develop interdisciplinary research collaboration, and/or deliver conference presentations. Fellows will also be required to submit a comprehensive report by October 1, 2017, and deliver a public presentation on their project on a Fordham campus.