SAP Policy - Graduate Programs

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

To be eligible for federal financial aid, graduate students are required by the U.S. Department of Education to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward their degree objectives.

The School of Professional and Continuing Studies has established this SAP policy to ensure student success and accountability and to promote timely advancement toward degree objectives.

SAP guidelines are based on reasonable expectations of academic progress toward a degree.  Accordingly, these guidelines should not be a hindrance to any student in good academic standing.

Please note that these policies may change in the future to ensure continued compliance with federal and state regulations regarding student financial aid.

In order to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, the following areas must be met:

Grade Point Average Requirement
As a graduate student in the School of Professional and Continuing Studies, you must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0.

Pace of Progression Requirement
Students must complete a minimum number of credits each semester to ensure completion of the degree within the maximum timeframe of 5 years. To calculate the Pace of Progression, divide the cumulative number of credits you have successfully completed by the cumulative number of credits you have attempted.

Students are required to successfully complete a minimum of 67 percent of all attempted credits to remain eligible for aid.

Maximum Time-Frame Allowance
Students must complete their degree within 5 years.

SAP Appeals

The SAP criteria for students will be reviewed each term to ensure compliance.  Students who are not compliant could lose the opportunity to receive financial aid.  Those students will be notified by the Financial Aid Office.

Students have the opportunity to appeal and must complete the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form.

Please be sure that your written appeal includes the following information/ explanation:

  1. What caused your work in the MS program to fall below acceptable standards? Provide a specific explanation?
  2. How have those reasons been resolved?
  3. How will you maintain good academic standards and progress toward the degree if the appeal is granted?

Documentation may be required.

Meet with the advisor of the program to discuss your status and to submit the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form. If there is the potential for you to successfully complete the degree, your advisor will design a specific academic plan in collaboration with you and will submit the Appeal Form to the Financial Aid Office, on your behalf.