Accounting and Taxation
Joined Fordham: 2007
441 E. Fordham Rd,
Hughes Hall 524, New York, NY 10458
Stan Veliotis received his PhD in 2007 and then joined the Gabelli School of Business faculty, teaching taxation and accounting. He is also a director of the Center for Professional Accounting Practices.
Before entering academia, Professor Veliotis worked at law firms on business litigation, corporate, and tax matters, and at two of the Big Four accounting firms. He spent nearly a decade in the Big Four, specializing in the taxation of international employee compensation, including stock compensation plans extended beyond a parent company's home country and expatriate issues. His law and CPA licenses have remained continuously active.
Professor Veliotis has presented at workshops and seminars held by the American Taxation Association, American Accounting Association, Global Equity Organization, National Association of Stock Plan Professionals, KPMG and Ernst & Young.
Empirical research areas in which Professor Veliotis has published include insider trading, earnings management, and effect of tax law on taxpayer and market behavior. His policy work includes various inefficiencies of the tax law.
- PhD: University of Connecticut
- Master's: LLM, New York University School of Law
- JD: Fordham University School of Law
- Bachelor's: Baruch College, CUNY
- Tax Effects on Taxpayer and Market Behavior
- Tax Policy
- Insider Trading and Earnings Management
- “Equating U.S. Tax Treatment of Dividends and Capital Gains for Foreign Portfolio Investors,” forthcoming, American Business Law Journal (2019)
- “Do Tax-Motivated Wash Gain Sales Pass Economic Muster?,” The Tax Lawyer (Winter 2018), Vol. 71, No. 2, 391-421
- “Mirroring ASC 740 in the Federal Financial Statements,” Tax Notes, Nov. 20, 2017, Vol.157(8) :1067-108
- “Insiders' Sales and Meeting-or-Beating Earnings Expectations Under Rule 10b5-1 Plans," with John Shon, Management Science, September 2013, Vol. 59, No. 9, 1988-2002.
- "The Effect of Taxes on Conventional Preferred Stock: Evidence from the 2003 JGTRRA Dividend Tax Reduction," with Amy Dunbar, Journal of the American Taxation Association, Spring 2012, Vol. 34, No. 1: 87-111
- "December Effect: Strategic Prepayments of Deductible State Tax Payments," with John Shon, Journal of the American Taxation Association, Fall 2010, Vol. 32, No. 2, 53-71
- "Rule 10b5-1 Trading Plans and Insiders' Incentive to Misrepresent," American Business Law Journal, Summer 2010, Vol. 47, No. 2, 313-359