Pretoria, South Africa- Spring 2020
The number of Fordham students who study abroad has doubled in the past 10 years. We anticipate and hope that number continues to grow, but are mindful of Fordham’s environmental impact due to all of that increased travel. Here are some tips to take with you wherever you go in the world:
- A $10 contribution to a carbon-reducing project with Cool-Effect will off-set the greenhouse gases produced during an average trans-Atlantic study abroad flight. Book a direct flight whenever you can. Take-off and landing uses the most fuel. Consider buying a carbon off-set every time you fly.
- According to the NY Times, the US Postal Service delivered more than 77 billion pieces of marketing mail in 2018. While you’re studying abroad, have your name removed from catalogs and marketing companies at Catalogchoice.org so you don’t receive any unnecessary mail at home.
- Carry a refillable water bottle and coffee cup. Many coffee shops around the world will give you a discount if you bring your own cup!
- Bring your own shopping bags to the grocery store or farmer’s market.
- Walk, bike or use public transportation whenever it is safe to do so.
- Buy a unique, locally-made souvenir instead of imported products, which have a larger carbon footprint and will look the same as everyone else’s souvenir!
- Recycle, compost, and reduce waste as much as you can in your dorm or apartment.
- Immerse yourself in your host culture. Be a participant, not an observer and you’ll discover many more ways to live and travel sustainably!