Housing Abroad

Housing for study abroad programs varies by program, but generally falls within three categories. You can search for study abroad programs based on housing type using the advanced search feature on our website.  

Students are required to live in program-arranged housing for their time abroad. For additional questions about housing abroad, please contact [email protected]


Residence Hall/Dorm

Residence hall or dorm housing is most similar to on-campus living at Fordham. Students will share rooms and common spaces with others. These residence halls may have suite or apartment style rooms and may house other Fordham students studying abroad, students studying abroad from other institutions, or students who are primarily enrolled in this international institution. In some cases meals or meal plans may be provided. Living in a residence hall is a wonderful way to build community and get to know peers from around the world.

Residence halls/dorms are the most commonly used study abroad housing type. For a list of programs with this type of housing click here.


Apartment style housing indicates individual apartments sourced by an institution or individual for the duration of their study abroad program. These apartments are usually located off-site from a campus or academic building, and provide students the opportunity to live independently and experience their study abroad locations like locals. For a list of programs with this type of housing, click here.

Home Stays

Home stays are the most immersive style of study abroad housing. Students are matched with a local host family. Homestay families provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily, as well as a supportive, immersive environment for participants to acclimate to their new surroundings. Homestays provide students the opportunity to learn about their study abroad location from a local family through cultural and language immersion, and are an excellent option for students looking to improve language proficiency. For a list of programs with this type of housing, click here.


If you have questions related to housing in New York, please contact the Office of Residential Life at your home campus.