Professor Lerzan Aksoy's research interests are in service research, including customer satisfaction, employee satisfaction, innovation and social innovation, its relationship to loyalty, firm performance and societal wellbeing.
A prolific writer, Professor Aksoy has co-authored or edited five books. Her most recent book, The Wallet Allocation Rule, is a New York Times and USA Today bestseller.
Professor Aksoy's research has received more than a dozen prestigious scientific awards, including the Marketing Science Institute/H. Paul Root Award from the Journal of Marketing, Citations of Excellence "Top 50" Award and Robert Johnston Outstanding Paper Award (3 times) from the Journal of Service Management. Her articles have been published in top tier journals in marketing (such as the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Marketing Science, Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Interactive Marketing), strategy (including Harvard Business Review, MIT Sloan Management Review) and service research (such as the Journal of Service Research and Journal of Service Management).
She is associate editor for the Journal of Service Research and serves on the editorial review boards of International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Journal of Service Management and Journal of Service Theory and Practice. She was selected "Best Reviewer of the Year" among the editorial review board members of both the Journal of Service Research and Journal of Service Management.
Professor Aksoy served as co-chair of AMA SERVSIG (American Marketing Association - Service Special Interest Group) from 2014 - 2018 and worked with Filene Research Institute from 2012 - 2016 doing research with credit unions. She currently serves on the Board of Trustees of Marketing Edge, is a member of the Academic Council of the AMA (American Marketing Association) and serves as the academic partner for the American Innovation Index.
She has also been featured in media including CNN, CNBC and publications such as The Wall Street Journal, BrandWeek and Harvard Business Online.
Professor Aksoy is a keynote speaker at academic and industry conferences and has presented in Belgium, China, Egypt, Greece, Jordan, Peru, Sweden, the Netherlands, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States. She has provided executive training and consulting to credit unions in the US, and companies including Sony, Ford, Pfizer, Nielsen and L'Oreal. Prior to joining Fordham, Professor Aksoy was an associate professor at Koç University in Istanbul, Turkey.
- PhD: Marketing, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Kenan-Flagler Business School
- Master's: MBA, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
- Bachelor's: Business Administration, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey, B.Sc.
- Service Research
- Customer Satisfaction
- Employee Satisfaction
- Commitment and Word-of-Mouth
- Firm Performance
- Customer Engagement
- Innovation, Social Innovation, Social Responsibility
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Sunmee Choi, Tarik Dogru, Tim Keiningham, Melanie Lorenz, Dan Rubin and Bruce Tracey (forthcoming), “Global Trends in Hospitality,” Journal of Business Research.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Sabine Benoit, Shreekant G. Joag, Jay Kandampully, Timothy Lee Keiningham and An L. Yan (2021), “Enterprise Feedback Management (EFM): What Lies Beyond the Hype?” Journal of Service Management, 32, No. 1, 53-69.
- Parasuraman, A, Joan Ball, Lerzan Aksoy, Timothy Lee Keiningham and Mohammad Zaki (2021), “More Than a Feeling? Toward a Theory of Consumer Delight,” Journal of Service Management, Vol. 32, No. 1, 1-26.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Linda Alkire, Jay Kandampully, Laura Kemppainen, Lu, Kong and Laura McLelland (2020), “The Role of Service Firms in Societal Health: The Case for Symbiotic Value,” Journal of Service Management; Vol. 31, No. 5, 1041-1058.
- Berry, Leonard L., Tracey Danaher, Lerzan Aksoy and Timothy Keiningham (2020), “Service Safety in the Pandemic Age,” Journal of Service Research, 23, No. 4, 391-395.
- Berry, Leonard L., Timothy Keiningham, Lerzan Aksoy and Katie A. Deming (2020), “When Cancer Centers Mislead Prospective Patients,” Journal of Oncology Practice, Vol. 16, No. 5 May, 219-222.
- Williams, Luke, Alexander Buoye, Timothy L. Keiningham, Lerzan Aksoy (forthcoming), “The Practitioners’ Path to Customer Loyalty: Memorable Experiences or Frictionless Experiences?” Journal of Retailing and Consumer Sciences.
- Pirson, Michael, Lerzan Aksoy and Sertan Kabadayi (2019), "Social Innovation and the Future of Business and Business Education," Humanistic Management Journal, Vol. 4, No. 2, 119-124.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Hooria Jazaieri, Yuliya Komarova, Katherine Milligan, Jeffrey Nesteruk and Raj Sisodia (2019). “Reimagining the Change Maker: From Exalting Heroes to Engaging Our Humanity,” Humanistic Management Journal, Vol. 4, No. 2, 239-259.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Helene Duneigre, Loic Guilloux and Sikaar Keita (2019), “Viewpoint: Service Research Priorities – Bridging the Academic and Practitioner Perspectives,” Journal of Services Marketing,
- Keiningham, Timothy, Lerzan Aksoy, Helen L. Bruce, Fabienne Cadet, Natasha Clennell, Ian R. Hodgkinson and Treasa Kearney (2019), “Customer Experience Driven Business Model Innovation,” Journal of Business Research, forthcoming.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Allerstorfer, Peter, Cadet, Fabienne, Cook, Paul, Keiningham, Timothy, and Manuel Koser, (2019), "Building Service Businesses in Africa: Introducing the Business Builder Model," Thunderbird International Business Review, 1– 12.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Linda Alkire, Sunmee Choi, Peter Kim and Lu Zhang (2019), “Social Innovation in Service: A Conceptual Framework and Research Agenda,” Journal of Service Management, 30 No. 3, pp. 429-448.
- Fehrer, Julia A., Sabine Benoit, Lerzan Aksoy, Thomas L. Baker, Simon J. Bell, Roderick Brodie and Malliga J. Marimurthu (2018), “Future Scenarios of the Collaborative Economy: Centrally Orchestrated, Social Bubbles or Decentralized Autonomous?” Journal of Service Management, Vol. 29, No. 5, 859-882.
- Keiningham, Timothy L., Roland T. Rust, Bart Larivière, Lerzan Aksoy, and Luke Williams (2018), “A Roadmap for Driving Word of Mouth,” Journal of Service Management, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2-38.
- Kunz, Werner, Lerzan Aksoy, Yakov Bart, Kristina Heinonen, Sertan Kabadayi, Francisco Villarroel Ordenes, Marianna Sigala, David Díaz Solis, and Babis Theodoulidis (2017), “Customer Engagement in a Big Data World: A Strategic Framework from both Company and Customer Perspective,” Journal of Services Marketing, 31 (2), pp. 161-171.
- Buoye, Alexander, Yuliya A. Komarova, Sertan Kabadayi, Mohammad G. Nejad, Timothy L. Keiningham, Lerzan Aksoy, and Jason Allsopp (2016), “Is Share of Wallet Exclusively about Making Customers Happy or Having More Customers? Exploring the Relationship between Satisfaction and Double Jeopardy,” Journal of Service Management, 27, No. 4, pp. 434-459.
*2016 Robert Johnston Highly Commended Paper Award.
- Larivière, Bart, Timothy L. Keiningham, Lerzan Aksoy, Forrest Morgeson III, Atakan Yalçin, Sunil Mithas (2016), “Modeling Heterogeneity in The Satisfaction, Loyalty Intention and Shareholder Value Linkage: A Cross-Industry Analysis at the Customer and Firm Level,” Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 53 (1), pp. 91-109.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Timothy L. Keiningham, Alexander Buoye, Bart Larivière, Luke Williams, and Ian Wilson (2015), “Does Loyalty Span Domains? Examining the Relationship between Consumer Loyalty, Other Loyalties and Happiness,” Journal of Business Research. Special Issue on Positive Marketing, Vol. 68, (12), pp. 2464-2476.
- Keiningham, Timothy L, Bruce Cooil, Edward C. Malthouse, Alexander Buoye, Lerzan Aksoy, Arne De Keyser, and Bart Larivière (2015), “Perceptions Are Relative: An Examination of the Relationship between Relative Satisfaction Metrics and Share of Wallet,” Journal of Service Management, Vol. 26 (1), pp. 2-43.
- Keiningham, Timothy L, Carly M. Frennea, Lerzan Aksoy, Alexander Buoye, and Vikas Mittal (2015), “Broadening Our Conceptualization of Commitment and Its Relationship to Consumer Loyalty,” Journal of Service Research, Vol 18 (4), pp.433-450.
- Keiningham, Timothy L., Sunil Gupta, Lerzan Aksoy, and Alexander Buoye (2014), “The High Price of Satisfaction,” MIT Sloan Management Review,Vol 55, No. 3 (Spring), 37-46.
* Translated into Spanish, Chinese, and Korean.
- Bart Larivière, Timothy L. Keiningham, Bruce Cooil, Lerzan Aksoy, and Edward C. Malthouse (2014), “A Longitudinal Examination of Customer Commitment and Loyalty,” Journal of Service Management, 25, No. 1, 75-100.
*Winner of Robert B. Johnston Outstanding Paper Award.
- Aksoy, Lerzan (2013), "How Do You Measure What You Can't Define? The Current State of Loyalty Measurement and Management," Journal of Service Management, 24, No. 4, 356-381.
*Winner of Robert B. Johnston Outstanding Paper Award.
- Kumar, V., Veena Chattaraman, Lerzan Aksoy, Carmen Neghina, Bernd Skiera, Alexander Buoye and Joerg Henseler (2013), "Data-Driven Services Marketing in a Connected World," Journal of Service Management, 24, No. 3, 330-352.
- Keiningham, Timothy L., Lerzan Aksoy, Alexander Buoye, and Bruce Cooil (2011), "Customer Loyalty Isn't Enough. Grow Your Share of Wallet," Harvard Business Review, V 89 (October), 29-31.
*Winner of the NextGen Disruptive Innovation in Marketing Research Award.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Alexander Buoye, Bruce Cooil, Timothy L. Keiningham, DeDe Paul and Chris Volinsky (2011), "Can We Talk? The Impact of Willingness to Recommend on New to Market Service Brand Extension within a Social Network," Journal of Service Research. 14 (3), 355-371.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Bruce Cooil and Nicholas Lurie (2011), "Decision Quality Measures in Recommendation Agents Research," Journal of Interactive Marketing, 25 (2), 110-122.
- Morgeson, Forrest, Sunil Mithas, Timothy Keiningham and Lerzan Aksoy (2011), "An Investigation of the Cross-National Determinants of Customer Satisfaction" Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, 39 (2), 198-215.
- Kumar, V., Lerzan Aksoy, Rajkumar Venkatesen, Bas Donkers, Thorsten Wiesel and Sebastian Tillmans (2010), “Undervalued or Overvalued Customers: Capturing Total Customer Engagement Value,” Journal of Service Research, Vol. 13, No. 3, 297-310.
- Keiningham, Timothy L, Lerzan Aksoy, and Luke Williams (2009), Why Loyalty Matters, Dallas, TX: BenBella Books.
*Audio book created (in English)
*Commissioned for publication into Chinese and Korean.
- Keiningham, Timothy L., Lerzan Aksoy, Bruce Cooil and Tor Wallin Andreassen (2008), “Linking Customer Loyalty to Growth,” MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 49, No. 4 (Summer), 50-57.
*Article featured in Wall Street Journal: Michel, Stefan, David Bowen and Robert Johnston (2008), “Making the Most of Customer Complaints,” Wall Street Journal (September 22), R4.
*Made available for free to the public by a grant from IBM.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Bruce Cooil, Christopher Groening, Timothy L. Keiningham and Atakan Yalcin (2008), “Long Term Stock Market Valuation of Customer Satisfaction,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 72 (July), 105-122.
- Keiningham, Timothy L., Lerzan Aksoy, Bruce Cooil and Tor Wallin Andreassen (2008), “Net Promoter, Recommendations, and Business Performance: A Clarification on Morgan and Rego,” Marketing Science, Vol. 27, No. 3 (May/June), 531-532.
- Keiningham, Timothy L., Bruce Cooil, Tor Wallin Andreassen and Lerzan Aksoy (2007), “A Longitudinal Examination of Net Promoter and Firm Revenue Growth,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 71, No. 3. (July), 39-51.
*Winner of the MSI/H Paul Root Award (Best Paper) in the Journal of Marketing.
*Research featured in Wall Street Journal: Thurm, Scott (2006), “One Question and Plenty of Debate,” Wall Street Journal, (December 4), B3.
*Article selected featured in Journal of Marketing blog.
- Cooil, Bruce, Timothy L. Keiningham, Lerzan Aksoy, and Michael Hsu (2007), “A Longitudinal Analysis of Customer Satisfaction and Share of Wallet: Investigating the Moderating Effect of Customer Characteristics,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 71, No. 1 (January), 67-83.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Paul N. Bloom, Nicholas H. Lurie and Bruce Cooil (2006), “Should Recommendation Agents Think Like People?” Journal of Service Research, 8 (4), 297-315.
*Finalist for Best Paper in Journal of Service Research.