Dean and George N. Jean Ph.D. Chair
Gabelli School of Business
Joined Fordham: 2008
140 W. 62nd Street, Room 456,
New York, NY 10023
441 E. Fordham Road, Room 435,
Bronx, NY 10458
Email: [email protected]
Website: Google scholar profile
Lerzan Aksoy is Dean, George N. Jean Ph.D. Chair and Professor of Marketing at Fordham University’s Gabelli School of Business. From 2015 to 2022 she served as Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies and Strategic Initiatives.
She is the 2022 recipient of the American Marketing Association’s Christopher Lovelock Career Contributions to the Services Discipline Award for teaching, research, and service that has had the greatest long-term impact on the development of the services discipline. This is the highest award presented in the field of service marketing.
She is author of the NY Times bestseller The Wallet Allocation Rule and author/editor of four other books on customer loyalty. Her research has been published in top tier journals in marketing (e.g., Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, and Journal of Interactive Marketing), strategy (e.g., Harvard Business Review and MIT Sloan Management Review) and service research (e.g., Journal of Service Research and Journal of Service Management). Her research has received more than a dozen prestigious awards, including:
- Marketing Science Institute/H. Paul Root Award from the Journal of Marketing for the most significant contribution to the advancement of the practice of marketing.
- Citations of Excellence "Top 50" Award (top 50 management papers of approximately 20,000 papers reviewed that year) from Emerald Management Reviews.
- Robert Johnston Outstanding Paper Award (3 times) from the Journal of Service Management
- Next Gen Disruptive Innovation Award
She currently serves on the Academic Council of the AMA (American Marketing Association) which oversees the academic programming of the association. She will serve as president of the Academic Council beginning in 2024. Professor Aksoy served as co-chair of AMA SERVSIG (American Marketing Association - Service Special Interest Group) from 2014 - 2018 and worked with Filene Research Institute from 2012 - 2016, and 2021 to present conducting research with US credit unions.
Professor Aksoy is a Fulbright scholar. She received a Ph.D. in marketing from the Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, an M.B.A. from George Mason University, and a B.S. in Business Administration from Hacettepe University (Ankara, Turkey).
- Ph.D.: Marketing, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Kenan-Flagler Business School
- Master's: M.B.A., George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
- Bachelor's: Business Administration, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey, B.Sc.
- Service Research
- Customer Satisfaction
- Employee Satisfaction
- Commitment and Word-of-Mouth
- Firm Performance
- Customer Engagement
- Innovation, Social Innovation
- Social Responsibility and ESG Impact of Business
- Lerzan Aksoy, Alexander Buoye, Maja Fors, Timothy Keiningham and Sara Rosengren, “Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) metrics do not serve services customers: a missing link between sustainability metrics and customer perceptions of social innovation,” Journal of Service Management https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/JOSM-11-2021-0428/full/html
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Sunmee Choi, Tarik Dogru, Tim Keiningham, Melanie Lorenz, Dan Rubin and Bruce Tracey (2022), “Global Trends in Hospitality,” Journal of Business Research, 142, March, 957-973.
- Lerzan Aksoy, Sandhya Banda, Colleen Harmeling, Timothy L. Keiningham and Anita Pansari (2021), “Marketing’s Role in Multi-Stakeholder Engagement,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2021.09.014
- Luke Williams, Alexander Buoye, Timothy L. Keiningham, and Lerzan Aksoy (2021), “What’s the Right Customer Experience for Your Brand?” Harvard Business Review, Online, July 30.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Sabine Benoit, Shreekant G. Joag, Jay Kandampully, Timothy Lee Keiningham and An L. Yan (2021), “Enterprise Feedback Management (EFM): What Lies Beyond the Hype?” Journal of Service Management, 32, No. 1, 53-69.
- Parasuraman, A, Joan Ball, Lerzan Aksoy, Timothy Lee Keiningham and Mohammad Zaki (2021), “More Than a Feeling? Toward a Theory of Consumer Delight,” Journal of Service Management, Vol. 32, No. 1, 1-26. *2022 Robert Johnston Highly Commended Paper Award.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Linda Alkire, Jay Kandampully, Laura Kemppainen, Lu, Kong and Laura McLelland (2020), “The Role of Service Firms in Societal Health: The Case for Symbiotic Value,” Journal of Service Management; Vol. 31, No. 5, 1041-1058.
- Berry, Leonard L., Tracey Danaher, Lerzan Aksoy and Timothy Keiningham (2020), “Service Safety in the Pandemic Age,” Journal of Service Research, 23, No. 4, 391-395.
- Berry, Leonard L., Timothy Keiningham, Lerzan Aksoy and Katie A. Deming (2020), “When Cancer Centers Mislead Prospective Patients,” Journal of Oncology Practice, Vol. 16, No. 5 May, 219-222.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Hooria Jazaieri, Yuliya Komarova, Katherine Milligan, Jeffrey Nesteruk and Raj Sisodia (2019). “Reimagining the Change Maker: From Exalting Heroes to Engaging Our Humanity,” Humanistic Management Journal, Vol. 4, No. 2, 239-259.
- Keiningham, Timothy, Lerzan Aksoy, Helen L. Bruce, Fabienne Cadet, Natasha Clennell, Ian R. Hodgkinson and Treasa Kearney (2019), “Customer Experience Driven Business Model Innovation,” Journal of Business Research.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Allerstorfer, Peter, Cadet, Fabienne, Cook, Paul, Keiningham, Timothy, and Manuel Koser, (2019), "Building Service Businesses in Africa: Introducing the Business Builder Model," Thunderbird International Business Review, 1– 12.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Linda Alkire, Sunmee Choi, Peter Kim and Lu Zhang (2019), “Social Innovation in Service: A Conceptual Framework and Research Agenda,” Journal of Service Management, 30 No. 3, pp. 429-448.
- Fehrer, Julia A., Sabine Benoit, Lerzan Aksoy, Thomas L. Baker, Simon J. Bell, Roderick Brodie and Malliga J. Marimurthu (2018), “Future Scenarios of the Collaborative Economy: Centrally Orchestrated, Social Bubbles or Decentralized Autonomous?” Journal of Service Management, Vol. 29, No. 5, 859-882.
- Keiningham, Timothy L., Roland T. Rust, Bart Larivière, Lerzan Aksoy, and Luke Williams (2018), “A Roadmap for Driving Word of Mouth,” Journal of Service Management, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2-38.
- Kunz, Werner, Lerzan Aksoy, Yakov Bart, Kristina Heinonen, Sertan Kabadayi, Francisco Villarroel Ordenes, Marianna Sigala, David Díaz Solis, and Babis Theodoulidis (2017), “Customer Engagement in a Big Data World: A Strategic Framework from both Company and Customer Perspective,” Journal of Services Marketing, 31 (2), pp. 161-171.
- Buoye, Alexander, Yuliya A. Komarova, Sertan Kabadayi, Mohammad G. Nejad, Timothy L. Keiningham, Lerzan Aksoy, and Jason Allsopp (2016), “Is Share of Wallet Exclusively about Making Customers Happy or Having More Customers? Exploring the Relationship between Satisfaction and Double Jeopardy,” Journal of Service Management, 27, No. 4, pp. 434-459.
*2016 Robert Johnston Highly Commended Paper Award.
- Larivière, Bart, Timothy L. Keiningham, Lerzan Aksoy, Forrest Morgeson III, Atakan Yalçin, Sunil Mithas (2016), “Modeling Heterogeneity in The Satisfaction, Loyalty Intention and Shareholder Value Linkage: A Cross-Industry Analysis at the Customer and Firm Level,” Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 53 (1), pp. 91-109.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Timothy L. Keiningham, Alexander Buoye, Bart Larivière, Luke Williams, and Ian Wilson (2015), “Does Loyalty Span Domains? Examining the Relationship between Consumer Loyalty, Other Loyalties and Happiness,” Journal of Business Research. Special Issue on Positive Marketing, Vol. 68, (12), pp. 2464-2476.
- Keiningham, Timothy L, Bruce Cooil, Edward C. Malthouse, Alexander Buoye, Lerzan Aksoy, Arne De Keyser, and Bart Larivière (2015), “Perceptions Are Relative: An Examination of the Relationship between Relative Satisfaction Metrics and Share of Wallet,” Journal of Service Management, Vol. 26 (1), pp. 2-43.
- Keiningham, Timothy L, Carly M. Frennea, Lerzan Aksoy, Alexander Buoye, and Vikas Mittal (2015), “Broadening Our Conceptualization of Commitment and Its Relationship to Consumer Loyalty,” Journal of Service Research, Vol 18 (4), pp.433-450.
- Keiningham, Timothy L., Sunil Gupta, Lerzan Aksoy, and Alexander Buoye (2014), “The High Price of Satisfaction,” MIT Sloan Management Review,Vol 55, No. 3 (Spring), 37-46.
* Translated into Spanish, Chinese, and Korean.
- Bart Larivière, Timothy L. Keiningham, Bruce Cooil, Lerzan Aksoy, and Edward C. Malthouse (2014), “A Longitudinal Examination of Customer Commitment and Loyalty,” Journal of Service Management, 25, No. 1, 75-100.
*Winner of Robert B. Johnston Outstanding Paper Award.
- Aksoy, Lerzan (2013), "How Do You Measure What You Can't Define? The Current State of Loyalty Measurement and Management," Journal of Service Management, 24, No. 4, 356-381.
*Winner of Robert B. Johnston Outstanding Paper Award.
- Kumar, V., Veena Chattaraman, Lerzan Aksoy, Carmen Neghina, Bernd Skiera, Alexander Buoye and Joerg Henseler (2013), "Data-Driven Services Marketing in a Connected World," Journal of Service Management, 24, No. 3, 330-352.
- Keiningham, Timothy L., Lerzan Aksoy, Alexander Buoye, and Bruce Cooil (2011), "Customer Loyalty Isn't Enough. Grow Your Share of Wallet," Harvard Business Review, V 89 (October), 29-31.
*Winner of the NextGen Disruptive Innovation in Marketing Research Award.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Alexander Buoye, Bruce Cooil, Timothy L. Keiningham, DeDe Paul and Chris Volinsky (2011), "Can We Talk? The Impact of Willingness to Recommend on New to Market Service Brand Extension within a Social Network," Journal of Service Research. 14 (3), 355-371.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Bruce Cooil and Nicholas Lurie (2011), "Decision Quality Measures in Recommendation Agents Research," Journal of Interactive Marketing, 25 (2), 110-122.
- Morgeson, Forrest, Sunil Mithas, Timothy Keiningham and Lerzan Aksoy (2011), "An Investigation of the Cross-National Determinants of Customer Satisfaction" Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, 39 (2), 198-215.
- Kumar, V., Lerzan Aksoy, Rajkumar Venkatesen, Bas Donkers, Thorsten Wiesel and Sebastian Tillmans (2010), “Undervalued or Overvalued Customers: Capturing Total Customer Engagement Value,” Journal of Service Research, Vol. 13, No. 3, 297-310.
- Keiningham, Timothy L, Lerzan Aksoy, and Luke Williams (2009), Why Loyalty Matters, Dallas, TX: BenBella Books.
*Audio book created (in English)
*Commissioned for publication into Chinese and Korean.
- Keiningham, Timothy L., Lerzan Aksoy, Bruce Cooil and Tor Wallin Andreassen (2008), “Linking Customer Loyalty to Growth,” MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 49, No. 4 (Summer), 50-57.
*Article featured in Wall Street Journal: Michel, Stefan, David Bowen and Robert Johnston (2008), “Making the Most of Customer Complaints,” Wall Street Journal (September 22), R4.
*Made available for free to the public by a grant from IBM.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Bruce Cooil, Christopher Groening, Timothy L. Keiningham and Atakan Yalcin (2008), “Long Term Stock Market Valuation of Customer Satisfaction,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 72 (July), 105-122.
- Keiningham, Timothy L., Lerzan Aksoy, Bruce Cooil and Tor Wallin Andreassen (2008), “Net Promoter, Recommendations, and Business Performance: A Clarification on Morgan and Rego,” Marketing Science, Vol. 27, No. 3 (May/June), 531-532.
- Keiningham, Timothy L., Bruce Cooil, Tor Wallin Andreassen and Lerzan Aksoy (2007), “A Longitudinal Examination of Net Promoter and Firm Revenue Growth,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 71, No. 3. (July), 39-51.
*Winner of the MSI/H Paul Root Award (Best Paper) in the Journal of Marketing.
*Research featured in Wall Street Journal: Thurm, Scott (2006), “One Question and Plenty of Debate,” Wall Street Journal, (December 4), B3.
*Article selected featured in Journal of Marketing blog.
- Cooil, Bruce, Timothy L. Keiningham, Lerzan Aksoy, and Michael Hsu (2007), “A Longitudinal Analysis of Customer Satisfaction and Share of Wallet: Investigating the Moderating Effect of Customer Characteristics,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 71, No. 1 (January), 67-83.
- Aksoy, Lerzan, Paul N. Bloom, Nicholas H. Lurie and Bruce Cooil (2006), “Should Recommendation Agents Think Like People?” Journal of Service Research, 8 (4), 297-315.
*Finalist for Best Paper in Journal of Service Research.