Peter Johnson is a Clinical Associate Professor of Marketing at the Gabelli School of Business, where he teaches customer-driven marketing, sales management, customer relationship management and services marketing. He also is academic program director of Fordham’s Master of Science in Marketing Intelligence. His scholarly research focuses on the use of organizational improvisation to enhance the rapid development of marketing strategies and to improve marketing performance. He also has investigated the effects of creativity in digital marketing environments.
Prior to entering academia, Professor Johnson was a managing partner at Marketmaker Capital, an investment firm that specializes in raising capital for technology companies. He also worked as a senior agency executive at Bozell, Jacobs, Kenyon and Eckhart and at Grey Advertising in New York. There he created integrated marketing campaigns for global clients in consumer goods, financial services, government services and industrial equipment. In 1995, he was part of a management team that built one of the first Internet e-commerce and advertising firms, Poppe-Tyson/Modem Media. He also helped lead US Interactive to a successful IPO in 1999.
Professor Johnson earned his doctoral degree in marketing and international economics from Pace University in New York. He also holds a B.A. in economics and an M.S. in integrated marketing communications from Northwestern University. He is a member of the Academy of Marketing Science, the American Marketing Association and the Direct Marketing Educational Foundation.
- D.P.S., Doctor of Professional Studies: Pace University, Lubin School of Business, Pace University
- Master's: M.S. in Integrated Marketing Communications, The Medill School, Northwestern University
- Bachelor's: B.A. in Economics, Northwestern University
- Organizational improvisation and market orientation
- Impact of creativity in digital marketing environments
- Software adaptation as an expression of organizational learning
- The effects of ritual on team dynamics
- Journal of Business Anthropology, Fall 2020, Vol. 9 No.2, “Women's Softball and the Collaborative Spirit of Magic,” by Timothy Malefyt and Peter Johnson.
- Journal of Business Anthropology, Fall 2015, Vol. 4 No. 2, "Creativity in a Real-Time World: Improvisation and the Culture of Creativity," by Peter Johnson (Fordham University, New York).
- Journal of Advertising Education, March/April 2009, "Seizing the Opportunity: Enhancing Creativity in Direct and Digital Marketing", by Glenn, Johnson and Jones.
- Academy of Marketing Science, May 2009, Conference Proceedings, "Real-Time Marketing Strategy: The Effect of Improvisation on Market Orientation"
- Journal of Advertising Education, March/April 2010, "Beyond the Banner: Powerful Creative Techniques in Digital Marketing", by P. Johnson and S. Jones.
- Organization Management Journal, (publication pending) "An Investigation into Organizational Improvisation and Market Orientation: Perspectives from Five CEOs," by Johnson & Neves.