Clinical Associate Professor
Law and Ethics
Rose Hill, Hughes Hall 542,
441 E. Fordham Road,
Bronx, NY 10458
Dennis Cappello is an associate professor of law and ethics at the Gabelli School of Business, as well as the pre-law advisor at the undergraduate Gabelli School of Business. Professor Cappello is a proud alumnus of the Gabelli School, earning his BS magna cum laude in accounting. He received his JD from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University.
Professor Cappello began his professional career upon graduation from law school in 1980 as an associate tax consultant at Deloitte & Touche LLP, where he worked extensively on tax returns and financial statements for private placement real estate limited partnerships. His practice areas also included federal and state taxation of clients in various fields, including nonprofit foundations, law, retail, manufacturing, oil and gas.
Professor Cappello served from 1983 to 1986 in the Office of the District Attorney of Queens County, New York, as an assistant district attorney assigned to the Arson and Economic Crimes Bureau, where he investigated and prosecuted white-collar crimes including credit-card fraud, automobile-insurance fraud, and arson for profit.
Since 1986, Professor Cappello has engaged in the private practice of law as a solo practitioner. His practice areas include trusts and estates, estate planning, elder law, guardianships and real estate. Professor Cappello also serves as an administrative law judge for the City of New York Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings, where he conducts hearings and renders decisions in cases involving violations of the city's fire, health and sanitation codes. He is admitted to practice in the states of New York and Florida, the U.S. District Courts for both the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, and the U.S. Supreme Court. He is also a certified public accountant in the state of New York.
Professor Cappello has taught law and ethics courses at the Gabelli School of Business since 2001, focusing on contract law, commercial transactions and employment law. As pre-law advisor, he advises students interested in legal careers and assists them in developing a realistic and aggressive plan for law school admission. He received the Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence in 2006, 2008 and 2010.
- JD: Yeshiva University, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (1980)
- Bachelor's: BS Magna cum Laude, Accounting, Fordham University, Gabelli School of Business (1977)
- Business Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Estate Planning
- Elder Law
- Real Property Law
- Real Property Management
- Administrative Law
- White-Collar Crime
- Dennis S. Cappello, Attorney at Law: Solo Practitioner
- The City of New York, Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings: Administrative Law Judge
- Gold Castle Homes, Inc.: President and Chief Executive Officer
- Ivy Associates, Inc.: President and Chief Executive Officer
- Crowley for Congress: Treasurer
- Touro College: Adjunct Associate Professor
- Queens College/CUNY: Instructor, Paralegal Studies Program
- Office of the District Attorney, Queens County: Assistant District Attorney
- Deloitte & Touche LLP: Associate Tax Consultant