Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Degree: Master of Science in Teaching (MST)
Career Path: Teacher of K-12 students who are learning English as an additional language
Start Semester: All
Campus: Lincoln Center
The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and TESOL International Association awarded National Recognition to Fordham's TESOL program. TESOL teacher candidates learn to identify and implement ESL teaching strategies, design and evaluate curriculum, and become familiar with instructional materials to meet the needs of emerging bilinguals (EB).
The program emphasizes research-based instructional practices, which promote cognitive development and linguistic proficiency in speaking, listening, reading, and writing in English as an additional language. The program prepares individuals to work with children and adolescents from linguistically and culturally diverse backgrounds.
This program is only available for individuals interested in teaching K-12 schools and who are qualified to be certified as teachers in K-12 schools.
Scholarships and Graduate Assistantships Available
Fieldwork required for financial aid & scholarships.
- Twelve (12) credits in a language other than English
- Demonstrated proficiency in English through undergraduate course work and the admissions essay
Fall: June 30
Spring: November 15
Summer: April 15
General Teacher Education Program Admissions Requirements
- 3.0 GPA
- Online application
- Official transcript(s)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- GRE or MAT exam scores
In addition to the general admissions requirements above, international applicants must have all transcripts translated into English and evaluated for credentialing in the United States by an accredited agency (World Education Services).
Additional Multilingual Education Programs
- Advanced TESOL (Certificate)
- Bilingual Childhood Education (MST)
- Bilingual Education (Extension)
- Bilingual Education in Special Education (Extension)
- English as a World Language (MS)
- TESOL in Special Education (Extension)
Aida A. Nevárez-LaTorre