Childhood Special Education
Degree: Master of Science in Teaching (MST)
Career Path: Initial classroom teacher dual certification in Childhood Education and Teaching Students with Disabilities in Childhood (grades 1-6).
Degree: Master of Science in Teaching (MSE)
Career Path: Initial certification in Teaching Students with Disabilities in Childhood for candidates who already have certification in Childhood or Elementary education.
To enable children with disabilities to reach their personal and academic potential requires caring teachers who have expertise in children's learning and development, elementary curriculum content and pedagogy, and the specialized knowledge and skills to adapt learning environments and experiences to meet individual children's needs.
The Childhood Special Education program prepares such teachers through a rigorous academic program that builds on a foundation of childhood education and psychology and provides a strong sequence of field experiences and student teaching.
Scholarships and Graduate Assistantships Available
Fieldwork required for financial aid & scholarships.
- Fall: June 30
- Spring: November 15
- Summer: April 15
General Teacher Education Program Admissions Requirements
- 3.0 GPA
- Online application
- Official transcript(s)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- GRE or MAT exam scores
A full year of student teaching is required. In the fall and spring semesters, students are in classrooms for four full days per week.
- Assessment of All Children with Disabilities (CTGE5159)
- Beginning Reading and Writing in Inclusive Classrooms (CTGE5534)
- Children's Literature in a Multicultural Society (CTGE5245)
- Childhood Special Education Portfolio (CTGE0718)
- Differentiating Instruction for Children with Diverse Needs (CTGE5161)
- Environments for Managing Challenging Behavior (PSGE6324)
- Historical, Philosophical, and Multicultural Foundations of American Education (UEGE5102)
- Literacy Across the Curriculum in Inclusive Classrooms (CTGE5548)
- Psychology of Child Development and Learning (PSGE5316)
- Reflective Practice and Field Experience I in an Inclusive Childhood Classroom (CTGE5551)
- Reflective Practice and Field Experience II in an Inclusive Childhood Classroom (CTGE5552)
- Reflective Practice and Student Teaching I in an Inclusive Childhood Classroom (CTGE5553)
- Reflective Practice and Student Teaching II in an Inclusive Childhood Classroom (CTGE5554)
- Special Education Foundations: Past, Present, and Future (CTGE5155)
- Teaching Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Students (CTGE5247)
- Teaching Mathematics to Children (CTGE5227)
- Teaching Science and Technology to Children (CTGE5242)
- Teaching Social Studies to Children (CTGE5066)
- Teaching Technology to Children (CTGE5065)
- The Arts in Childhood Education (CTGE5212)