Businesses globally are undergoing extensive and rapid digital transformation. Tectonic changes are taking place at breakneck speed, fueled by artificial intelligence, blockchain, digital platforms, cloud computing, IoT, robotics-based automation and other factors that have deep effects on how businesses leverage technology to generate business value.
In the midst of this shift to digital business, technological knowledge and skills are of paramount importance. Fordham’s Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT) program focuses on training the next generation of transformation leaders in the core concepts of technology and business so graduates can develop successful careers in management positions that require deep technical skills.
Understanding the opportunities created by advances in IT is critical for contemporary IT professionals and executives. The Bureau of Labor Statistics forecasts that the employment of computer and information technology occupation is projected to grow 12% from 2014 to 2024. Demand for these jobs will only grow further as firms rapidly expand their businesses to digital platforms.
The MSIT program highlights the critical role of IT in businesses, from understanding the design and development of such systems to learning how to transform IT into business applications that deliver sustainable value across the entire organization and managing the IT-enabled value chain.
Our graduates are trained in both the technical and managerial aspects of technology that enables them to develop and deploy IT to create value for their business and for society.
Full-time and Part-time Options
The MSIT has two schedule choices:
- A one-year full-time program
- A part-time program spread over a longer time frame, ideal for professionals who don’t want to leave their jobs while they pursue a degree
The Gabelli School Edge
Located in the heart of the digital capital of the world, the Gabelli School of Business offers the Master of Science in Information Technology degree program to prepare the 21st century workforce in Information Technology skills – in all phases of development and management, from analysis & design to strategy.
Gabelli School students work on original research projects, United Nations projects, and New York City town and gown projects to gain valuable experience. Students have conducted research and implemented applications in topics such as blockchain, customer journey data automation, health information technology, climate change analytics, talent analytics, and others. An active Digital Business Society also hosts numerous events geared toward learning and networking.
Gabelli School MSIT graduates hit the job market with a keen understanding of the transformational role of technology and all the skills needed to find and maximize value opportunities for organizations.
An MSIT from Gabelli makes you a strategic asset to any organization. The MSIT is geared to help you, whether you want to be technically trained to start IT projects on day one, or you want to build your managerial career managing IT in the business context. It serves as a standalone professional degree or is the perfect complement to careers in business and advisory consulting position.
Our MSIT program is designed for students who are interested in exploring the intersection of technology and business. If you’re fascinated by big data, cloud computing, digital product development, or e-commerce, this degree would be a good fit. A tech background is not necessary, but it’s helpful to have a basic awareness of the role of IT in supporting organizational processes and strategy.
Highlights of the MSIT Program
- Accelerated, one-year full-time program (with extension to a 4th semester) of 30 credit hours, with a part-time option.
- Custom mix of electives: you can design a program to meet your goals, and our flexible curriculum gives you the ability to target the depth of knowledge and skills a potential employer will value.
- Develop T-shaped skills – a depth of technological hard skills and breadth of communication and soft skills.
- Engagement of students and faculty in an interactive conversation in the classroom.
- Incorporation of a real-world project in all core courses to provide experience in applied learning in a collaborative setting.
- Inculcate technology entrepreneurship opportunities in the curriculum.
- Option of a joint MSIT-MSBA program.
- Experiential Learning opportunities working with the Center for Digital Transformation and two research labs – the Design Lab and the AI Lab.
No matter the industry or role you choose, mastering leadership skills will help you achieve your professional goals. The Responsible Business Leadership Certification program™ prepares you to be an effective leader by helping you identify your leadership style, practice solving real problems, target your strengths, and build personal connections.