Homeschooled Students

The admission process and application requirements for homeschooled students do not differ greatly from the requirements for students attending traditional high schools. Homeschooled students may apply through any of our application plans, including Early Action (applicants to Dance and Theatre majors apply Early Action), Early Decision I, Regular Decision, and Early Decision II. Additional information about application materials relevant to homeschooled students can be found below. 

Required Application Components:

  • The Common Application, including an essay
    • The “School Report” section of the Common Application must be completed by the student’s primary instructor/counselor and should include information that will help us understand the student's homeschool experience and environment (e.g. educational philosophy, motivation for homeschooling, instruction setting, etc.).
  • Transcript detailing high school curriculum as well as academic grades 
    • The transcript may be prepared by a parent, a teacher/counselor, or a homeschool organization as applicable to the student’s educational structure.
    • If the student has previously attended a traditional high school, we ask that an official transcript be sent by the school directly to Fordham. 
  • Letter of Recommendation from non-family member
  • Official College Transcript, if any college/university courses were completed during high school
    • Please note that any student who earns college credit after completing a secondary school diploma is considered a transfer student, regardless of the number of credits completed.

Optional Components:

Financial Aid

  • Homeschooled students are eligible for all merit awards and financial aid.
  • New York State Residents: In accordance with New York State Education Department guidelines, homeschooled students residing in New York must present a high school diploma or the recognized equivalent, or a passing score on an approved ability-to-benefit test, to be eligible for State student financial assistance. Students must demonstrate their eligibility for State student financial aid in one of the following ways:
    • Obtain a letter from local school district officials confirming that the student has received an education "substantially equivalent" to instruction given to students graduating high school in the public schools;
    • Take and pass the General Education Development Test (GED Test) and receive a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma from the New York State Education Department (SED) by the first day of classes to be certified as eligible for a financial aid award for that term; or
    • Achieve a satisfactory score on an approved Ability-to-Benefit test by the term add/drop date.