Professor of Psychology
Email: [email protected]
Rose Hill Campus: Dealy Hall, Room 226E
Lab: Youth Development in Diverse Contexts
Currently accepting students.
- 1997 BA in Psychology, Cornell University
- 2003 PhD in Psychology, New York University
- Ethnic identity development among minority youth, young adults, and adults
- Direct and indirect association between ethnic identity and psychological adjustment
- Impact of ethnic-specific and general stressors for well-being outcomes
- PSYC 2000 - Statistics
- PSYC 3600 - Multicultural Psychology
- PSYC 5335 - Social Development
- PSYC 6830 - Research Methods
- PSYC 6310 - Culture, Ethnicity, Race, and Development
Professional Affiliations and Cooperations
- Associate Editor, Asian American Journal of Psychology
- Associate Editor, Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology
- Dr. J. Nicole Shelton, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
- Dr. Robert M. Sellers, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Dr. Eleanor Seaton, Arizona State University, Chapel Hill, NC
- Dr. William Cross, University of Denver, NV
- Dr. Gilbert Gee, UCLA
- Wang, Y., Douglass, S. & Yip T. (2017). Longitudinal relations between ethnic/racial identity process and content: Exploration, commitment, and salience among diverse adolescents. Developmental Psychology, 53 (11), 2154-2169.
- Dunbar, M, Mirpuri, S. &, Yip, T. (2017). The effects of sleep and ethnic/racial discrimination on academic achievement trajectories across high school, Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 23 (4), 527-540.
- Seaton, E.K., Yip, T. & Douglass, S. (2017). Racial and ethnic discrimination. In R. Levesque (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Adolescence. New York: Springer.
- Mirpuri, S. & Yip, T. (2017). Intergroup contact and racial/ethnic identity development. In A. Rutland, D. Nesdale & C. Spears Brown (Eds.), The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Group Processes in Children and Adolescents. (pp. 47-66). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell Press.
- W. E., Seaton, E., Yip, T., Rivas-Drake, D., Gee, G. C., Ngo, B. & Roth, W. (2017). Identity work: Enactment of racial-ethnic identity in everyday life, Identity, 17 (1), 1-12.
- Douglass, S., Mirpuri, S. & Yip, T. (2017). Considering friends within the context of peers in school for the development of ethnic/racial identity, Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 46, 300-316.
- Douglass, S., Wang, Y. & Yip, T. (2016). The everyday implications of ethnic-racial identity status: Exploring variability in ethnic-racial identity salience across situations, Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 45, 1396-1411.
- Yip, T. (2016). To be or not to be: How racial/ethnic stereotypes influence ethnic disidentification and private regard, Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 22 (1), 38-46.
- Killen, M; Rutland, A. & Yip, T. (2016). Equity and Justice in Developmental Science: Discrimination, Social Exclusion, and Intergroup Attitudes, Child Development, 87 (5), 1317-1336.
- Kiang, L., Tseng, V. & Yip, T. (2016). Placing Asian American child development within historical context, Child Development, 87 (4), 995–1013.
- Hall, G., Yip, T. & Zarate, M. (2016). On becoming multicultural in a monocultural research world: A conceptual approach to ethnocultural diversity, American Psychologist, 71(1), 40-51.
- Hall, G., Yip, T. & Zarate, M. (2016). Disciplinary perspectives on multicultural research: Reply to Dvorakova (2016) and Yakushko et al. (2016), American Psychologist, 71(9), 892-893.
- Yip, T. (2015). The Effects of ethnic/racial discrimination and sleep quality on trajectories of depressive symptoms and self-esteem among diverse adolescents, Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 44 (2), 419-430.
- Yip, T. (2014). Ethnic identity in everyday life: The influence of identity development status. Child Development, 85 (1), 205-219.
- Lam, J., Yip, T., & Gee, G. (2012). The physical and mental health effects of age of immigration, age, and perceived difference in social status among first generation Asian Americans. Asian American Journal of Psychology, 3 (1), 29-43.
- Seaton, E. K., Yip, T., Morgan-Lopez, A., & Sellers, R. M. (2012). Racial discrimination and racial socialization as predictors of African American adolescents' racial identity development using latent transition analysis. Developmental Psychology, 48 (2), 448-458.
- Yip, T., Seaton, E. K. & Sellers, R. M. (2010). Interracial and intraracial contact, school-level diversity, and change in racial identity status among African American adolescents. Child Development, 81 (5), 1431–1444.
- Yip, T. (2009). Simultaneously salient Chinese and American identities: An experience sampling study of self-complexity, context and positive mood among Chinese young adults. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 15 (3), 285-294.
- Seaton. E. K., Yip, T. & Sellers, R. M. (2009). Racial identity and perceptions of discrimination: A longitudinal analysis. Child Development, 80 (2), 406-417.
- Seaton, E. K. & Yip, T. (2009). School and neighborhood contexts, perceptions of racial discrimination, and psychological well-being among African American adolescents. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 38(2), 153-163.
- Yip, T., Gee, G. C. & Takeuchi, D. (2008). Racial discrimination and psychological distress: The impact of ethnic identity and age among immigrant and United States-born Asian adults. Developmental Psychology, 44 (3), 787-800.
- Yip, T., Kiang, L. & Fuligni, A. J. (2008). Multiple social identities and reactivity to daily stress among ethnically diverse young adults. Journal of Research in Personality, 42, 1160-1172.
- Kiang, L., Yip, T. & Fuligni, A. J. (2008). Multiple social identities and adjustment in young adults from ethnically diverse backgrounds. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 18 (4), 643-670.
- Yip, T., Seaton, E. K. & Sellers, R. M. (2006). African American racial identity across the lifespan: A cluster analysis of identity status, identity content and depression among adolescents, emerging adults and adults. Child Development, 77, 1504-1517.
- Ehrhardt, A., Cheon, Y. M., Ray, C. & Yip, T. (2018, July). Grit and GPA: The impacts of ethnic and racial identity. APA Division 45 Conference, Austin, TX.
- Yip, T., Wang, Y., Mootoo, C. & Mirpuri, S. (2018, April). Moderating the association between discrimination and adjustment: A Meta-analysis of ethnic/racial identity. Society for Research in Adolescence. Minneapolis, MN.
- Cheon, Y. & Yip, T. (2018, April). Daily grades and daily sense of ethnic identity among Asian adolescents: Variations by peer diversity. Society for Research in Adolescence. Minneapolis, MN.
- Wang, Y. & Yip, T. (2018, April). The Impact of the 2016 Presidential Election on Adolescents’ Daily Ethnic/Racial Identity. Society for Research in Adolescence. Minneapolis, MN.
- Ray, C., Tynes., M. & Yip, T. (2017, August). Rejection sensitivity in multiethnic versus monoethnic minorities. American Psychological Association. Washington, DC.
- Ray, C. & Yip, T. (2017, May). Exploring the association between ethnic identity and racial discrimination: Race matters. American Psychological Society. Boston, MA.
- Yip, T. (2017, April). Sleep: A Mediator between Ethnic/Racial Discrimination and Adolescent Academic and Psychosocial Outcomes. Society for Research in Child Development, Austin, TX.
- Chae, D. H., Wang, Y., Slopen, N. B., Fuller-Rowell, T. E., Yip, T., Lin, J., Brody, G. H., Adler, N. E., Puterman, E., Matthews, K. A., & Epel, E. S. (2016, December). Racial Discrimination Trajectories, Education, and Telomere Length: Findings from the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study. International Stress and Behavior Society, 10th International Neuroscience and Biological Psychiatry Conference, Neuroscience of Stress, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Donnay, S., Varner, F. & Yip, T. (2016, July). Joint Influence of Ethnic/racial Socialization and Ethnic/racial Identity on Discrimination-Depressive Symptoms Association. APA Division 45 Conference, Palo Alto, CA.
- Mirpuri, S., Yip, T & Brown, J. (2016, July). Considering Diverse School Contexts: Ethnic/racial Identity, Academic Achievement, and Aggression during the Transition from Middle to High School. APA Division 45 Conference, Palo Alto, CA.
- Ortega, J., Belzer, B., Mirpuri, S. & Yip, T. (2016, July). Ethnic/racial identity, Sleep Quality, and Daily Life Satisfaction. APA Division 45 Conference, Palo Alto, CA.
- Wang, Y., Aladin, M. & Yip, T. (2016, July). Linking Ethnic Socialization and Daily Intragroup Contact to Ethnic Identity. APA Division 45 Conference, Palo Alto, CA.
- Tynes, M. F., Akhter, F., Sullivan, M., Smith, P. & Yip, T. (2016, July). Hair Cortisol as an Index of Discrimination Stress. APA Division 45 Conference, Palo Alto, CA.
- Chae, D. H., Wang, Y., Yip, T., Douglass, S., Slopen, N. B., Lin, J., Epel, E. S., & Blackburn, E. H. (2015, June). Racial Differences in Biomarkers of Stress and Cell Aging: LatentTransition Analysis of 5-Year Change Among Patients in the Heart and Soul Study. Psychoneuroimmunology Research Society, Seattle, WA.