Student Handbook: Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a written request for access.  A  student  should  submit  to  the  Office  of  Academic  Records-Fordham  University Enrollment Group at the Rose Hill Campus or the Lincoln Center Campus, or the Law School Registrar if applicable, a written request that identifies the record(s) he/she wishes to inspect. The Office of Academic Records-Enrollment Group will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. A student may ask the University to amend a record that he/she believes is inaccurate or misleading. The student should write the University Registrar, or the Law School Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record he/she wants changed, and specifically why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One of these exceptions which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff);a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees;or a student serving on an official committee, such as on a disciplinary or grievance committee,or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official need store view an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
  4. Upon the request of officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll, the University may disclose educational records without the student's consent.
  5. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Fordham University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-5920

Directory Information
The University,at its discretion, may provide the following Directory Information: students' names,addresses, telephone numbers, electronic mail addresses,photograph, date and place of birth, major field of study, dates of attendance, class level, enrollment status (e.g., undergraduate or graduate; full-time or part- time), participation in officially recognized activities and sport, weight and height of members of athletic teams, degrees, honors and awards received, and the most recent educational agency or institution attended, and other such similar information. A student who wishes the University to withhold Directory Information from disclosure must notify the Office of Academic Records or Law School Registrar in writing within ten days after the first day of class each semester.

Dependent Status 

Generally, undergraduate students are considered holding "dependent" status unless written notification and adequate documentation of "independent" status has been submitted to the Office of Academic Records-Enrollment Group.